Lily anther in LS

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
mrsonchus

Lily anther in LS

#1 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:38 am

Hi all, I've been experimenting a bit lately with Alcian-blue stain and have just started to 'get the measure of it' at least in it's most basic application as a counter-stain for Safranin - a job it appears to do very well.

Anyway, I dug-out a few old tissue blocks of some Lily anthers from last-year's 'double embedding' trials and made a few sections for use in my staining studies. I've a few nice images that I though you may find interesting as they are sectioned at 8µ and show clearly the bi-nucleate pollen-grains as found in most flowering plants while they are yet to land on a stigma and germinate.

It's then, while travelling through the resultant pollen-tube, that a second sperm-nucleus is produced. The larger 'vegetative' or 'tube nucleus' is responsible for building the pollen-tube - the two sperm nuclei are destined to perform the so-called 'double fertilization' within the egg-sac of the receptive ovule into which the pollen-tube ultimately delivers these two nuclei....

The blue isn't much in evidence in these images - it is mainly concerned with the staining of primary cell walls (non-lignified) and only really features in these images in staining the anther cell-walls. I thought these pollen details may nonetheless be interesting, and the Safranin has made a lovely job of differentiating the pollen's cytoplasm and nuclear material.

Here's a LS of an anther - oriented by way of the double-embedding (agar/wax) technique I studied a while back now. The faintly greenish tinge around the grains is the trace of stain that remained as it often does within the agar matrix that surrounds (but doesn't infiltrate) the tissue.
ws_lily anther pollen (2).jpg
ws_lily anther pollen (2).jpg (71.99 KiB) Viewed 3888 times
Closer-in - the grains are really packed closely in the as yet unopened but mature anther...
ws_lily anther pollen (4).jpg
ws_lily anther pollen (4).jpg (53.49 KiB) Viewed 3888 times
and,
ws_lily anther pollen (3).jpg
ws_lily anther pollen (3).jpg (25.87 KiB) Viewed 3888 times
and,
ws_lily anther pollen (1).jpg
ws_lily anther pollen (1).jpg (46.95 KiB) Viewed 3888 times
Sorry to be so brief, but I like the detail and colours!

John B. :D :)
John B

Crater Eddie

Re: Lily anther in LS

#2 Post by Crater Eddie » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:40 pm

mrsonchus wrote:Anyway, I dug-out a few old tissue blocks of some Lily anthers from last-year's 'double embedding' trials...
So, will tissue be preserved in the wax blocks indefinitely? Is there any degradation over time in it's ability to take the stains properly? Just curious.
Another terrific set of images.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

mrsonchus

#3 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:37 pm

Crater Eddie wrote: ..........................
So, will tissue be preserved in the wax blocks indefinitely? Is there any degradation over time in it's ability to take the stains properly? Just curious.
Another terrific set of images.
CE
A good question Eddie - not sure my friend. I can say for certain that the tissue will last for 'several years' at the very least. Considering that herbarium (dried) specimens last for 100+ years I'd think that they may well last as long....

Thanks for looking Eddie. :D :)
Last edited by mrsonchus on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John B

JimT

#4 Post by JimT » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:43 pm

John, your adventures with cellular exploration continue to amaze me. Well done.

JimT

charlie g

#5 Post by charlie g » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:14 am

Fantastic cytology, Mr.Sonchus, bravo!! With our jack frost winter on this side of pond..your botanical scrutiny of flowers brings a special kind of microscopy sharing and warmth for me...I love your microtechnique. I still have my dear Spring'17 Trillium developing flower organs slumbering in fixative after I stained the collected organs...perhaps I'll observe a sample prior to attempting a squash prep for their chromosomes!?

This post of yours, John B. , a terrific supplement to my botany texts, thank so! Charlie Guevara BTW todays public radio described Dr. Timo van Eldyk (?sp?) of Utrecht University/Netherlands findings. Study of German ancient soil cores by microscopy gave stunning fossil findings...ancient butterfly hollow scales.

201 million year ancient hollow butterfly/moth scales of Glossata tribe...directly indicating these proboscis bearing moths/butterflys existed and flourished long before flowers existed. This suggests the pollination droplets on pinecone bearing Mesozoic gymnosperms were lapped up by 'butterflies' long before flowers and the pollens you so clearly display for us here began forming on our globe.

Mr. Sonchus/flowers/ botanical microtechnique and shared microscopy..thanks so much.

vasselle

#6 Post by vasselle » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:00 am

Bonjour
Très belle observation et les photos sont très belles.
Cordialement seb
Microscope Leitz Laborlux k
Boitier EOS 1200D + EOS 1100D