MicrobeHunter.com Microscopy Forum

You can also access this page with: www.microscopy-forum.com
It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 7:18 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:29 pm 

Tried glycerin to slow down protozoa. Environmental disaster.
What wasn't killed outright, exploding or horribly deformed, looked like this one. (A few were slightly more mobile)
The survivors were flattened to the point that all internal functions are shut down. All trichocysts seem to have fired, or the alveoli are swollen.

Radazz

Olympus SZ40 Stereoscope

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:58 pm 

When adding any of the viscous liquids to slow protozoa motion, better add very small quantities. Even a few percent are, in my experience, too much. Also, I think that methyl cellulose and similar polymers are better than glycerol, since their osmotic effect (for the same volume or weight) is much lower. There is a recipe by charlie g, cited by 75RR in a previous post from December 23, 2018. Search "cellulose" in the forum.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:25 pm 

I just had a chance to try out copper sulfate and copper acetate for, as the instructions say, "immobilizing fast-moving ciliates."

Results:
Copper sulfate (one drop per drop of pond water) - indeed all ciliates on the slide were completely immobilized.

Copper acetate (apx 1/4 drop per drop of pond water) - same result. Ciliates immobilized.

The water drop feels pretty dead with all the pond favorites immobilized, but I suppose if there is a need to have ciliates completely immobilized to study an internal structure or take a photo, this is a viable method.

On an unrelated note, I may have gotten a photo radar ticket today. Darn it. if so, there goes microscope/hobby money down the drain for penance of my crime. But there's hope 'til it arrives in the mail. :cry:

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:43 pm 

Sauerkraut wrote:
I just had a chance to try out copper sulfate and copper acetate for, as the instructions say, "immobilizing fast-moving ciliates."

Results:
Copper sulfate (one drop per drop of pond water) - indeed all ciliates on the slide were completely immobilized.

Copper acetate (apx 1/4 drop per drop of pond water) - same result. Ciliates immobilized.

I should have mentioned that the solutions are from the Innovating Science stain kit purchased from AmScope. Copper(II) Sulfate 1% aqueous solution. Copper (II) Acetate 3% aqueous solution.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:15 pm 

Please try 1.5% methyl cellulose..50/50 mix of your specimen fluid and this viscosity tool. Please purchase the larger size rectangular cover slips so you never approach the wetmount cover slip borders with 'tight working distance' high mag objectives.

You can enjoy ciliates, large bacteria slowed down yet still patterning their usual body motions and ciliature wave propagations...a Parameciums 'fields of swaying ciliature' are beguiling..especially when the protist elects to change direction of body motion.

Enjoy live protists and use your oil-immersion objectives, with this 1.5% methyl cellulose viscosity tool. Charlie guevara

Attachments:
IMG_7490.JPG
IMG_7490.JPG [ 53.37 KiB | Viewed 312 times ]
IMG_7454.JPG
IMG_7454.JPG [ 39.77 KiB | Viewed 312 times ]
IMG_7394.JPG
IMG_7394.JPG [ 32.05 KiB | Viewed 312 times ]

Last edited by charlie g on Wed May 15, 2019 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:42 pm 

charlie g wrote:
Please try 1.5% methyl cellulose..50/50 mix of your specimen fluid and this viscosity tool. Please purchase the larger size rectangular cover slips so you never approach the wetmount cover slip borders with 'tight working distance' high mag objectives. --Charlie guevara

Thank you. Good to know. I only tried the other reagents because they unexpectedly came with a staining kit. Trial and error. Mostly error.