How does this composition of fixative translate to modern units ?

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
Post Reply
Message
Author
Hobbyst46
Posts: 2961
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:02 pm

How does this composition of fixative translate to modern units ?

#1 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:12 pm

Hello all,

In a fascinating presentation by F. S. Newcomer to the American Society of Microscopists in 1886, the following description of a fixative (used by Febiger) is given:

Glacial acetic acid . . . . . . . . . . . . f 3 xij.
Gelatine, . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3ij.
Alcohol . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. f3j.

What is the translation of this terminology to modern units ?
Thanks in advance.
Zeiss Standard GFL+Canon EOS-M10, Olympus VMZ stereo

BramHuntingNematodes
Posts: 524
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:29 am
Location: Georgia, USA

Re: How does this composition of fixative translate to modern units ?

#2 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:16 pm

I have heard of gelatin mountants, but not gelatin fixatives. I am at a loss as to how it would improve fixation.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

Hobbyst46
Posts: 2961
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:02 pm

Re: How does this composition of fixative translate to modern units ?

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:45 pm

BramHuntingNematodes wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:16 pm
I have heard of gelatin mountants, but not gelatin fixatives. I am at a loss as to how it would improve fixation.
Within this context, fixative means adhesive. Gelatine is a mountant for some preparations, e.g. plant sections. For diatom mounting it can serve as adhesive (=fixative), to restrain the diatoms from moving under the stresses imposed by the mounting process.
Zeiss Standard GFL+Canon EOS-M10, Olympus VMZ stereo

BramHuntingNematodes
Posts: 524
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:29 am
Location: Georgia, USA

Re: How does this composition of fixative translate to modern units ?

#4 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:04 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:45 pm
BramHuntingNematodes wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:16 pm
I have heard of gelatin mountants, but not gelatin fixatives. I am at a loss as to how it would improve fixation.
Within this context, fixative means adhesive. Gelatine is a mountant for some preparations, e.g. plant sections. For diatom mounting it can serve as adhesive (=fixative), to restrain the diatoms from moving under the stresses imposed by the mounting process.
Hmm Gray attributes a similar formula to Ernesto Bellido (1897):
Soak 6 grams gelatin in 48 ml of water overnight. Melt at 90 degrees C and add 50 ml acetic acid and 2 ml. alcohol.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

perrywespa
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:13 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: How does this composition of fixative translate to modern units ?

#5 Post by perrywespa » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:43 pm

Those are units in the old Apothecary system where "f" means "fluid", the symbol resembling a 3 is drams ( 1 dram =~3.5 ml) with the quantity given in Roman numerals. The "j" is probably another "i". Thus, glacial acetic acid becomes 12 fluid drams or ~ 42 ml, gelatin becomes 2 drams (1 dram =~3.9 grams) and 1 dram of alcohol. I've written a lot of prescriptions in my time and I hope this helps!
Perry
Seiler Westlab II, B&L Dynazoom, B&L Dynoptic, Vintage Leitz.

Hobbyst46
Posts: 2961
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:02 pm

Re: How does this composition of fixative translate to modern units ?

#6 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:59 pm

perrywespa wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:43 pm
Those are units in the old Apothecary system where "f" means "fluid", the symbol resembling a 3 is drams ( 1 dram =~3.5 ml) with the quantity given in Roman numerals. The "j" is probably another "i". Thus, glacial acetic acid becomes 12 fluid drams or ~ 42 ml, gelatin becomes 2 drams (1 dram =~3.9 grams) and 1 dram of alcohol. I've written a lot of prescriptions in my time and I hope this helps!
Thanks a lot perrywespa !!
I love the antique "Apotheque" with the 'Toxica" and "Separanda" signs... :)
Zeiss Standard GFL+Canon EOS-M10, Olympus VMZ stereo

Post Reply