Lapped Petri Dishes

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
microb

Lapped Petri Dishes

#1 Post by microb » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:27 pm

Maybe I've only seen cheap petri dishes. But they are not microscope slide quality flat bottoms to image through. Do people buy more expensive ones for better images? Does someone offer lapped petri dishes?

BramHuntingNematodes

Re: Lapped Petri Dishes

#2 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:35 pm

microb wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:27 pm
Maybe I've only seen cheap petri dishes. But they are not microscope slide quality flat bottoms to image through. Do people buy more expensive ones for better images? Does someone offer lapped petri dishes?
they have some with large circular coverslips affixed to the bottom.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

Hobbyst46

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:40 pm

microb wrote:
commercial single petri dishes as well as multi-well plates, all with cover-slip bottoms. Ideal for inverted microscopes.

microb

#4 Post by microb » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:45 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:40 pm
microb wrote:
commercial single petri dishes as well as multi-well plates, all with cover-slip bottoms. Ideal for inverted microscopes.
But those are plastic. Right?

Is that basically the solution then. Just use plastic try not to scratch them up when applying samples.

BramHuntingNematodes

#5 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:01 am

No boss the cover slips are glass. The dishes are plastic, but with a glass window. If you have a shallow plastic blister from packaging you can cut a hole in it and use silicone to seal one of your usual slips to it and it works a charm. You can buy them too around five dollars a dish (you have to buy a dozen at a time though) and they also work great. Be careful not to break the cover glass when cleaning.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

jimur

#6 Post by jimur » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:09 am

You might want to get a group together and share the cost. https://www.tedpella.com/section_html/p ... clear_wall
"You're never too old to have a happy childhood"
Leitz Wetzlar SM-LUX
Olympus IM
Canon 450D