Prepared slide storage

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
Post Reply
Message
Author
TonyT
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:30 pm

Prepared slide storage

#1 Post by TonyT » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:45 pm

I believe it best to store prepared slides flat. The standard 100-slide boxes do store the slides flat but it is impossible to read the labels unless the slide is removed.
It is reasonably simple to make a tray that holds 11 slides flat such that the slide labels are easily read.
Slides are 1x3" and 1 mm thick but a prepared slide can be 2 mm thick.
I cut high quality card 3mm thick, obtainable from an arts-supply store, into a 11 7/8"x 3 7/8" oblong to form the base of a tray. Strips, 3/8" were cut to form the edges.
This left a central 'well' area that will comfortably hold 11 standard prepared slides.
I stack these trays 4 high and store them in a small cabinet, 12" deep, that holds 6 stacks of 4 slides vertically in 5 columns
Attachments
slides-in-trays-for-MiHunt.jpg
slides-in-trays-for-MiHunt.jpg (193.32 KiB) Viewed 1081 times

Element 56
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:48 pm
Location: Lancaster County, PA

Re: Prepared slide storage

#2 Post by Element 56 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:03 pm

TonyT wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:45 pm
I believe it best to store prepared slides flat.
Indeed you are correct! I like your tray and the way you're keeping things organized. Well done!

Kirby

MicroBob
Posts: 2211
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:11 am
Location: Northern Germany

Re: Prepared slide storage

#3 Post by MicroBob » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:37 am

Hi Tony,
in my view it is best to store slides flat but cover slip down. If the mountant is not fully hardened this prevents that the specimen moves away from the cover slip and sinks down to the slide. For mountants that harden dependably this is not necessary of cause.

Bob

TonyT
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:30 pm

Re: Prepared slide storage

#4 Post by TonyT » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:52 pm

I mount in Canada Balsam and Euparal. I am not sure how long it takes for CB to thoroughly harden but Euparal seems to never harden. If stored cover slip down I would be afraid that some mountant (maybe a tiny amount) would leak out and stick the slide to the base of the tray.
Cover slip down would not be a problem when using the 'standard' 100-slide boxes.

TonyT
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:30 pm

Re: Prepared slide storage

#5 Post by TonyT » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:02 pm

Here is my 'cabinet'
Attachments
slide-cabinet-12ix20.jpg
slide-cabinet-12ix20.jpg (102.57 KiB) Viewed 1032 times

Element 56
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:48 pm
Location: Lancaster County, PA

Re: Prepared slide storage

#6 Post by Element 56 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:43 am

MicroBob wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:37 am
Hi Tony,
in my view it is best to store slides flat but cover slip down. If the mountant is not fully hardened this prevents that the specimen moves away from the cover slip and sinks down to the slide. For mountants that harden dependably this is not necessary of cause.

Bob
Hi Bob,
Cover slip down? I'm guessing you're sealing the edges with something? I mostly use Canada Balsam and I would surely make a mess if I stored them cover slip down.
Kirby

MicroBob
Posts: 2211
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:11 am
Location: Northern Germany

Re: Prepared slide storage

#7 Post by MicroBob » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:02 pm

Hi Kirby,
the drying mountant at the edges has enough tack to hold the cover slip in place when the slide is hanging horizontal and nothing contacts the cover slip. The mountant layer can easily be thick enough to make it impossible to focus on the specimen when it sinks down to the slide. The additional mountant layer will also adversely affect image quality. With smears or very thin sections this might not be a problem.

Bob

Element 56
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:48 pm
Location: Lancaster County, PA

Re: Prepared slide storage

#8 Post by Element 56 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:36 pm

MicroBob wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:02 pm
Hi Kirby,
the drying mountant at the edges has enough tack to hold the cover slip in place when the slide is hanging horizontal and nothing contacts the cover slip. The mountant layer can easily be thick enough to make it impossible to focus on the specimen when it sinks down to the slide. The additional mountant layer will also adversely affect image quality. With smears or very thin sections this might not be a problem.

Bob
Thank you, Bob.
It makes sense. I will keep this in mind when I get back to mounting.

Kirby

Post Reply