vintage slides

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
TonyT

vintage slides

#1 Post by TonyT » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:51 pm

Many Victorian-era slides have a ornate paper envelope; for what purpose?
Perhaps to hide the often uneven rough edges between coverslip and slide.
I just mounted an ant using a square coverslip. The mounting medium did not form an even edge at all of the 4 sides of the coverslip so I made a 'slide cover'. Most difficult part is to get a clean edge for the circle.
When fully labeled the slide will look quite 'tidy'. However, it has no effect when photographing and posting the specimen.
Attachments
ant slide 7xi20.jpg
ant slide 7xi20.jpg (66.3 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
ant 7xi20.jpg
ant 7xi20.jpg (76.23 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
New Brunswick
Canada

Greg Howald

Re: vintage slides

#2 Post by Greg Howald » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:28 pm

Today's scopes are a lot different than they were when those slides were made, and in those days a prepared slide was a truly precious item. Some of the paper they used to do it has some pretty glorious design. They were difficult to produce and a great deal of pride went into it. The covering also helped to protect the slide from damage from accidental rough handling, and helped in the control of any stray light running around. They certainly did not have our optics. Slides weren't perfectly made and might have sharp edges so the paper protected the person using them.
Today prepared slides are mass produced and some are very expensive. A set of 12 petrographic slides can cost $500.00. But they are still mass produced. Manufacturing dictates that they just be pumped out without taking the time to wrap them.
I wrapped several slides once upon a time and then I stopped because they are too thick to fit in today's slide box. I enjoyed doing it though. I made a pattern with colored paper and used Elmer's glue. It worked fine. Elmer's glue has a refractive index of 1.46, give or take.
I hope this helps
Greg

Greg Howald

#3 Post by Greg Howald » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:36 pm

I will add that I have been in your place before. I just felt that a covering of some type would help. I bought a package of 1inch x 4 inch plain white address labels like you use with your computer and a 5/8 inch hole punch.
The punch will put the hole very nearly on center from top to bottom. You can use that to cover the slide and cover slip and trim the edges with a knife.. With only a paper covering on the front side of the slide it will still fit in your slide box.
Greg

EYE C U

#4 Post by EYE C U » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:14 am

I'VE HAD A SCOPE FOR MANY YEARS BUT NOT REALY ANY TIME to use it regularly..i came across a big assortment of slides years ago at a g sale...kicking myself ever since for not buying them..

Greg Howald

#5 Post by Greg Howald » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:54 am

No kidding. Some of those were really great slides. Well made with outstanding specimens.
Greg

Element 56

#6 Post by Element 56 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:49 am

Greg Howald wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:28 pm
They certainly did not have our optics.
Greg
Hey don't be busting on antique lenses! :mrgreen: Early lens makers knew what they were doing! Just like today some Victorian lenses were better than others however I regularly use objectives that are over 100 years old and the optical quality is excellent. Of course there's no fancy lens coatings on them but I wonder what those high priced coatings will look like 100 years from now!

Kirby

AntoniScott

#7 Post by AntoniScott » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:07 pm

Hey don't be busting on antique lenses! :mrgreen: Early lens makers knew what they were doing! Just like today some Victorian lenses were better than others however I regularly use objectives that are over 100 years old and the optical quality is excellent. Of course there's no fancy lens coatings on them but I wonder what those high priced coatings will look like 100 years from now!

Kirby

I agree. Some of the older lenses are excellent. I have a vintage Victorian Microscope by Seibert Wetzlar (precursor to Leitz) that is as good as my Olympus CH2 and BH2 objectives. The only difference I could detect was that the 140 year old objective was not as flat a field as with my Olympus. Also I have a early Brisoline microscope with the short objectives (compared to today's massive size objectives) that has excellent optical quality. I was looking for a 60x objective to compliment the short objectives and found an old Bausch and Lomb 60x from the 1950's that is every bit as good as my new long Olympus 60x.
Antoni

Element 56

#8 Post by Element 56 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:47 pm

AntoniScott wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:07 pm

Kirby

I agree. Some of the older lenses are excellent. I have a vintage Victorian Microscope by Seibert Wetzlar (precursor to Leitz) that is as good as my Olympus CH2 and BH2 objectives. The only difference I could detect was that the 140 year old objective was not as flat a field as with my Olympus. Also I have a early Brisoline microscope with the short objectives (compared to today's massive size objectives) that has excellent optical quality. I was looking for a 60x objective to compliment the short objectives and found an old Bausch and Lomb 60x from the 1950's that is every bit as good as my new long Olympus 60x.
Antoni
Indeed we are one the same page!
Kirby