cut single woodfiber into 2 pieces (longitudinal)

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
Hallo123

cut single woodfiber into 2 pieces (longitudinal)

#1 Post by Hallo123 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:43 pm

Hallo,

for my Phd I have to cut single woodfibers in the longditudinal direction into 2 pieces. The fibers have diameters in the range between 30-50µm.Does any of you has an idea how this could work? At the moment I try to fix the the fibers, so that I can cut it with a razor blade under a stereomicroscope. The problem is, that I can not embed the fiber to cut it with the microtome bechause I have to wet the fiber after the splitting with adhesive.
I would be realy happy about some hints.

mrsonchus

Re: cut single woodfiber into 2 pieces (longitudinal)

#2 Post by mrsonchus » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:57 pm

Hi, can you explain in a little more detail perhaps, I think you may be able to do more-or-less what you like with the fiber-sections after cutting with the microtome. The histological process renders them virtually supernaturally durable. I may however have misunderstood you exact meaning, are you able to elucidate a little? :)

p.s I'm not qualified or any kind of expert - I just cut plants up on a table in my dining-room at home as a hobby, but someone may have a couple of suggestions given a little more information - this forum has some very experienced and highly-skilled practitioners that may be able to help you. :)
John B