What can I observe?

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
Poseidone

What can I observe?

#1 Post by Poseidone » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:13 pm

Hello guys. I am a biology student. Soon I will have my first microscope, the Swift sw380b.
I obviously know onion’s experiment, and cheek cells too, but I would observe new specimens :D . Now I don’t have any stain, but soon I will also buy Eosin and Methylen blue.
Do you have any advice for me on what to observe interesting?
Luca

dtsh

Re: What can I observe?

#2 Post by dtsh » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:31 pm

Let's see if I can beat the others in suggesting drops of pond water...

I would suggest looking at insect parts, bits of soil for nematodes and the like, drops of blood and other bodily secretions. Raid the fridge for expired stuff, get a drop of milk, take a drop of water from the basement sump if you have one...
I heard once that the #1 rule for micropscopy is, "If it's flat, look at it. If it isn't flat, flatten it, then look at it"

For general exploration of the world around us, I tend to prefer the stereo microscope, but there's no shortage of specimens to examine in a compound microscope if one engages some creative thinking.

To a very large extent, your imagination is the limit. You can even view small stones and other opaque objects at lower magnicfications by shining a light onto it from above and to the side of the stage.