How to best photograph parasitoid wasp collection for ID

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
Seta

How to best photograph parasitoid wasp collection for ID

#1 Post by Seta » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:11 pm

Hi,

I have to photograph the parasitoid wasp collection for the University of Azores, right now they are separated by families plus a spieces ID number. Families range from medium sized Braconidae, Ichneumonidae to small ones like Figitidae and Eulophidae (down to 1mm aprox). All this samples are stored in alcohol and some have been there for years.
Idealy would need lateral and top views plus maybe separate shot for wings

I do not know if there is a safe way to rehidratate with water some of this samples, maybe the big one, to better work with them;
otherwise I am thinking of using otherwise deep well microscope slides, either with alcohol or water?

TonyT

Re: How to best photograph parasitoid wasp collection for ID

#2 Post by TonyT » Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:41 pm

Although I have never used the technique. 'critical point drying' seems to best the best way with such specimens.
Lots of references on 'Google'
New Brunswick
Canada

Chas

#3 Post by Chas » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:00 pm

A deep cell sounds like a good idea, but if you are after more control in terms of rotation, you could try putting them in a thin walled glass tube and then rotate that . Things like this were made 100 years or so ago.
The only example pic I can find at the moment is this one:
https://www.flintsauctions.com/auction/ ... =1867&sd=1

It says capilliary tube but I think that you might be able to get away with a larger diameter tube that had a thin wall. A few years ago I mackled one up (to photo parasitiod eggs in larvae ) using a platform of stacked glass slides. The capilliary tube sat between two of the slides and was bathed in glycerine, with a coverslip popped over the top. The tube stuck out and was turned with fingers ...so not as fancy as the thing above. I felt there was a bit of an issue matching the refractive index of the fluids and the glass tube.
I was using transmitted light ... so it might not be what you are after.
The other thing to try might be to attempt to replace the alcohol with a volatile fluid that doesnt hold as much water , but some of these insects are more fragile than others and perhaps as the fluid evaporates the they could collapse.
(somehow artist's turpentine springs to mind, but maybe I am wrong ..I will try it on some old gall midges)

If you can get them dry they can often be picked up with a cotton bud .. which can be pushed into a Biro tubes...which can be connected to a microscope stage with plasticine and so be positioned an rotated .
Here is the view of the cotton bud inside the Biro tube which is inside a diffuser that was forced off the top of a domestic led light bulb
On cotton bud  in the middle of an led lightbulb top.jpg
On cotton bud in the middle of an led lightbulb top.jpg (21.99 KiB) Viewed 6441 times
And here is a pic ..(I was interested in the ovipositor):
Ovip3.jpg
Ovip3.jpg (69.64 KiB) Viewed 6441 times
and another:
ovip 1 800.jpg
ovip 1 800.jpg (103.94 KiB) Viewed 6441 times
The dedicated macro /reflected-light/ opaque-subject photographers are found at https://www.photomacrography.net/

charlie g

#4 Post by charlie g » Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:58 am

Happy New Year , Seta and group. Dr. Andrew Chick ( BSc Environmental Biology, MSc Forensic Science, PhD Forensic Entomology) has a low cost book: " Insect Microscopy", chapters on Media for Mounting, Compounds,Chemicals, and Potions,

Slide Mounting, Publishing your work, Further information...and more chapters.

I suggest, Seta, you take a peek at this content for your project, charlie guevara, finger lakes/US

Seta

#5 Post by Seta » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:17 pm

Thank you for the feedback, I run some tests placing the sample in propilenglicol with a coverslip on top to keep the subject from moving, as long as the coverslip is fully submerged there are not unwanted reflections, I am using difused reflected light. Some of this samples will need to go later on for DNA testing and the propingleglicol allows that too.

I have experience with focus stacking and portrait like pictures but for this project is not really needed to get "beautiful" images, just lateral and top views plus nice view of the wing pattern and anthenas to get the ID. Some species may need extra images to identify them. I will publish some results

I will use a nikon J1 (10mpx 1" sensor) plus macro and microscope lenses, with a 10X max will do. I will use a olympus OM 80 macro plus telescopic tube, a nikon cfn 4/0.13 and Mitutoyo plan apo lenses 5X and 10X. Microscope lenses on bellows to change magnification as needed

I will also give a look at that book, thanks

Seta

#6 Post by Seta » Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:52 pm

Some early tests with nikon J1, mitutoyo 5x plus raynox DCR250 on bellows

Shot jpg and just some mild processing

Edit: Forgot to say these are around 15 image stacks.. :)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/534 ... 092a_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/534 ... 367c_k.jpg
Last edited by Seta on Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

perrywespa

#7 Post by perrywespa » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:44 pm

Very nice images!
Perry
Insatiably curious.