Good info on staining theory - link

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
mrsonchus

Good info on staining theory - link

#1 Post by mrsonchus » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:56 pm

Hi all, just been reading a very good article, downloadable as PDF, about staining theory, as applied to Hematoxylins specifically, but the information is applicable to all staining really. General topics such as the one I'm working on myself at the moment, the effect of pH on staining performance, are covered very well. I though someone may find it very handy - I know I have. :)

The link :- http://mhpl.facilities.northwestern.edu ... 5-2012.pdf

Good reading! :)
John B

Crater Eddie

Re: Good info on staining theory - link

#2 Post by Crater Eddie » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:57 pm

Thanks for the link, something I have been thinking about lately myself.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

mrsonchus

Re: Good info on staining theory - link

#3 Post by mrsonchus » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:15 pm

Crater Eddie wrote:Thanks for the link, something I have been thinking about lately myself.
CE
Hi Eddie, you're welcome. It's a good article.
I've started using acidic-differentiation in the form of either acidified water or OH (I mix white vinegar, which is 5% aqueous acetic-acid, with the correctly-calculated proportion of either OH or water to give me solutions of 1%, a very commonly used strength) and it really is good for 'hurrying-along' the differentiation (i.e. partial and discriminatory removal) of regressive staining procedures...

e.g. 50ml of 5% acetic-acid (vinegar) + 200ml DIW --> 250ml of 1% aqueous acetic-acid - simple as that.

My acidified (1% aq acetic acid) mix has a pH of about 3 according to the rather dubious test-papers I bought online..
To make an alkali I use the easily-bought '<5% ammonia' and find that 20 drops of a small dropper added to 200ml of DIW gives me a pH of about 9 (again according to the rather dodgy-looking papers I use...) which is very effective for 'bluing' stains after staining...

I've just started adjusting pH in this rather crude fashion but have already had some very good results with it. I've a few pictures that I'll post when I get a chance to write their stories too.. :)
John B