Using Uv Adhesive for Permanent Mounts

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
DaveH

Using Uv Adhesive for Permanent Mounts

#1 Post by DaveH » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:21 pm

Back in 2006 I bumped into an article on using Locktite Glassbond as a permanent mounting medium, as I had used this product in the past
to re fix a rear view mirror on the windscreen of a car it seemed an attractive option.
Available at the time from most hardware and car shops, I made a number of slides, a collection of pollen, the mandatory blood smear, onion skin
plus some others, a look today showed that they were still in good condition. I also purchased at the time a bottle of glass bevel adhesive
an uv curing adhesive for sticking decorative glass bevels to window panes.

Oliver indicated in a previous post that he was looking for a simple way of mounting slides that was quick drying didn’t shrink like nail polish
and avoided the use of toluene, I immediately thought of uv adhesive, last summer I found a dead fly and it has been sitting in a small jar
ever since, so today I ringed a slide to give the mount some depth and pulled a wing off the fly and put it in some IPA for 15 minuets then
mounted it in uv adhesive using the double drop method making sure that some IPA was transferred to the slide, 15minuets on the window
cill in bright daylight and the job was done. The mount is a bit thick as the wing has a defanite curve in it.

40x single photo

100x single photo

The slide is a lot better than my poor photos

This adhesive on ebay looks like it would be suitable and at £6.35 for 50ml fits afordable

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TP2500-50ML-U ... SwBLlVOL0a

Dave

mrsonchus

Re: Using Uv Adhesive for Permanent Mounts

#2 Post by mrsonchus » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:28 pm

Nice demo Dave, the UV resin is a great choice for such mounts as it's really tolerant of a simple alcohol-dehydration. Perfect for a quick pollen mount! :)
John B

DaveH

#3 Post by DaveH » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:43 pm

mrsonchus wrote:Nice demo Dave, the UV resin is a great choice for such mounts as it's really tolerant of a simple alcohol-dehydration. Perfect for a quick pollen mount! :)

Thank you it was Oliver's comment on looking for a cheap quick mount that prompted me to have another look at uv.

Dave

KurtM

#4 Post by KurtM » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:06 pm

I really liked this too. I agree with our fearless leader Oliver: the world would be a better place with more cheap quick mountants!
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

Crater Eddie

#5 Post by Crater Eddie » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:16 am

Interesting idea. I'll have to see if I can find something similar in the USA.
CD
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

charlie

#6 Post by charlie » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:28 am

DaveH

#7 Post by DaveH » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:41 am

I can't see why this wouldn't be perfect, as all things are not equal the Loctite product was thinner and quicker then the bevel adhesive, so I think the phone screen adhesive would be a bit slower in order to give time to position the screen correctly. I did build a uv lamp from some LEDs I found on eBay at the time only to find that they were useless as they were the wrong wavelength, I contacted the seller and found that LEDs of the right wavelength cost a fortune. I have heard that you can use a halagen lamp to cure the adhesive if you take the glass cover off the lamp (which may or may not be a uv filter) but I haven't tried it, l have only used daylight. If I was looking for uv mountent then this is the one I would go for.

Dave

wallyrut

#8 Post by wallyrut » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:38 pm

I have experimented with a couple of alternative mounting media. I found bad shrinkage problems with nail polish. I have used artist's acrylic emulsion with excellent results. I dehydrate in alcohol, then stain and mount using the emulsion. I have used Liquitex brand. It's a bit thick, so applying a little weight to the cover slip helps flatten it out. The emulsion comes out of the bottle milky white but dries clear. I usually give the slide 24 hours to dry. Although I think it is still fully drying over a longer time, I find the slides are perfectly viewable in 24 hrs. The artists acrylic emulsion is cheap, non-toxic and readily available at hobby/arts/crafts stores, or online. I have also used acrylic floor wax with good results.

billbillt

#9 Post by billbillt » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:22 pm

UV curing lights can be had on Ebay for very little...

BillT

p3aul

#10 Post by p3aul » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:14 am

You can get one for as little as $20 brand new from Amazon and these have a gurantee. Of course a window sill is cheaper yet and you'd have to be mighty impatient not to wait 15 minutes! :)
Paul Microscope: Amscope T400b Camera: Amscope MU300
Telescope: Orion xt6 classic Dob, Zhumell z10 classic Dob

billbillt

#11 Post by billbillt » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:08 pm

I am not sure what causes the shrinkage problem here with nail polish... I have used it for years.. I just went back and looked at some slides I did with it from last year and detected no problem... Strange...

BillT

KurtM

#12 Post by KurtM » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:13 pm

Well ... could maybe possibly be helpful if ya might say what brand nail polish y'all are talking about... :?: :idea:

I'm a Sally Hansen's Hard-As-Nails man myself. :shock: (As most fly tiers who use clear nail polish for head cement are.) Haven't really tried it for slide making (yet).
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

billbillt

#13 Post by billbillt » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:31 pm

What I have been using is the dollar store special.. This bottle is marked: "Love My Nails"....??

BillT

Dale

#14 Post by Dale » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:52 am

Gotta ask, what about the stuff they are advertsing on tv right now, its called
laserbond.

Kurt, can you tie a size 22 Royal Coachman?
B&L Stereozoom 4. Nikon E600. AO Biostar 1820.

DaveH

#15 Post by DaveH » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:31 am

billbillt wrote:What I have been using is the dollar store special.. This bottle is marked: "Love My Nails"....??

BillT
I think with nail polish is probably down to quality I have tried nail polish from the pound shop and it almost disappears, back in the 1950s one coat was all the girls used to use these days with cheap polish they use 3 or 4 that says it all, good quality nail polish is not cheap.

Dave

KurtM

#16 Post by KurtM » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:45 pm

Dave, just gotta to say THANKS for posting this thread. I ended up buying a couple different brands of UV cure adhesives to play with, one of which was advertised (and positively reviewed) for fixing busted phone screens, here it is: http://tinyurl.com/goofwas .

I have a valuable old diatom strew slide that had been dropped, the end cleanly broken off, rendering it impossible to load into a mechanical stage slide carrier. It is actually what I had in mind when I made the above purchase. I am delighted to report that it worked a treat - the actual repair was easy since the label held the two parts together. So then, after spending some quality time with the slide under the 100x oil lens, it totally slipped my mind that I was testing a repair and I cleaned it just as I normally would, taking no precautions or special care. Only as I was returning it to the slide box did it occur to me I had just glued it back together and it worked perfectly.

I used a UV flashlight to cure the stuff, incidentally, gave it about one full minute at point-blank range.

Dale: Are you kidding? I can't even SEE a #22 hook! :lol: Seriously, as a gulf coast Texan we tie on #4 and #6 hooks 98.5% of the time (everything's big in Texas, right).
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

DaveH

#17 Post by DaveH » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:12 pm

KurtM wrote:Dave, just gotta to say THANKS for posting this thread. I ended up buying a couple different brands of UV cure adhesives to play with, one of which was advertised (and positively reviewed) for fixing busted phone screens
Hi no need to thank me, but it is nice when a snippet of information is useful to someone else. I'm sure your repaired slide will last indefinitely, although there are lots of different types of uv glue they all seem to be the same at a basic level, they build display cabinets with it and repair chips in windscreens.
I think the RI is the same a glass I don't know if it would be any good for diatoms, I have the drain cleaner sitting in the workshop waiting for the summer.

Dave

KurtM

#18 Post by KurtM » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:17 am

If you try it on diatom slides, I sure hope you let us know how you get on.
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

DaveH

#19 Post by DaveH » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:36 am

KurtM wrote:If you try it on diatom slides, I sure hope you let us know how you get on.
I will do, nothing happens in a hurry this end of the world I don't get much spare time and only fumble around the edges of the hobby, but I am planning to have a go at diatoms in the summer.

Dave