sledge microtomes are they general purpose?

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
billben74

sledge microtomes are they general purpose?

#1 Post by billben74 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:02 pm

Hello all,

I've noticed a farily cheap shandon microtome on ebay uk

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shandon-AS-Sl ... SwBahVN37u

Its not got a blade.

I dont really know anything about sledge microtomes. Are they as good as rotary? Are they general purpose or for specific tissue types?

In short are they easier to use than a cambridge rocker?

Dale

Re: sledge microtomes are they general purpose?

#2 Post by Dale » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:55 pm

Did some research on this evil looking puppy. Appears they are used for solid sections, but don't quote me.
I found this amazing reference titled Pathology Practical Book. It is loaded with full color photomicrographs
and pages of detailed explanations, including stuff on sledge microtomes. Have you ever heard of Dr Virchow?
I bet there is a utube of one in action.
Dale
oops, here tis
https://books.google.com/books?id=x3n3c ... me&f=false
B&L Stereozoom 4. Nikon E600. AO Biostar 1820.

mrsonchus

#3 Post by mrsonchus » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:11 am

billben74 wrote:Hello all,

I've noticed a farily cheap shandon microtome on ebay uk

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shandon-AS-Sl ... SwBahVN37u

Its not got a blade.

I dont really know anything about sledge microtomes. Are they as good as rotary? Are they general purpose or for specific tissue types?

In short are they easier to use than a cambridge rocker?
Hi Bill, no they're not general purpose but used for harder tissue especially wood - 'proper wood'! They do not form ribbons either and are nowhere near as suitable as a rotary for sectioning just about everything!

I use a Shandon 0325 rotary with replaceable ('low-profile') blades and it is simply superb. Also, I've seen the machine you're looking at advertised also and the same fellow has another with a replaceable-blade holder included for about £60 more - without the holder you're into knife-sharpening - I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy! The very reason I moved on from my own rocker to a rotary!
My advice - don't even consider a microtome without the ability to use low-profile replaceable blades!

Now the chap from whom I bought my pristine (it was literally unused when I got it) Shandon rotary has another also on e-bay UK for £500 including replaceable blade holder and he'll very likely throw in some blades with it to start you off - he gave me 10 new blades to go with mine! He is a very decent chap indeed and will even deliver a couple of hundred miles for 20p per mile! The Shandon rotary weighs a hefty 40kg!

The one he has is fitted with a quick-release specimen-holder that is designed to take tissue-cassettes as I use for 90% of my work, but you still have the ability to use wood-blocks as in the rocker with this holder as wooden-blocks could easily be cut the same size and shape as a cassette and used as in the rocker with a wax-block fixed to them - you do get very good and consistent alignment with this holder design, better than my all-purpose chuck.

Here's his link - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anglia-Scient ... SwL7VWp1Xo

This fellow in my experience is 100% genuine and is very open to a price-negotiation I think. He had 2 Shandons, mine and this one as unused from a University as I remember - and believe me, they are immaculate! As new.
Think carefully before committing to the rotary as you are also committing to the entire histological processing of your specimens, as I have, and it's a very, very steep and long learning curve, believe me, I know this to be true!

You would be very wise to visit a few of my past threads detailing the Shandon as it arrived.

Think carefully and get in touch if need be - I really am very familiar with the Shandon rotary microtome now.
Good luck. :D

Here's my first video of the new machine 6 months ago now!

Here's a current thread of mine on this forum where you can see the use of the Shandon just a few days ago..
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2526

and here's a link to my thread started when I bought the mighty beast from this kind fellow...
viewtopic.php?t=1346

Hope this helps, I wouldn't go near the sledge (sliding) microtome if I were you, it has a limited capability and comes nowhere near the performance and utility of a rotary machine.

I'll PM you with the chaps details also...

Oh, yes, they are in my experience far easier to use than the rocker - quick, clean, stable and of paramount importance - consistent. No blade stresses either once you use your first replaceable blade! Sheer sectioning heaven! :D :D :D :D
John B

billben74

#4 Post by billben74 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:57 pm

Thanks to both for your reply.
I do have microtome envy.
I'm not sure I can justify the 500 quid though -> even though I know its a bargin.
I will deliberate and consider options...

Yvan

#5 Post by Yvan » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:01 am

Last edited by Yvan on Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billben74

#6 Post by billben74 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:03 pm

Thanks Yvan.
I've since got very nice Shandon 325 Rotary a.k.a. "Slicer".
mrsonchus and I have "sister" microtomes that both sat in cupboard in wolverhampton university for a decade or so before being snapped up by mrsonchus and then (after being tipped of by mrsonchus) me.

One day, probably in about 20-25 years when I retire, I will get a sledge, for now Slicer does me nicely.