Doing Diatoms

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
rnabholz

Re: Doing Diatoms

#31 Post by rnabholz » Wed May 18, 2016 1:22 pm

The evening's work.

I have to fight the urge to be too stingy with the Pleurax. I try to avoid using too much and making a mess, but end up using too little and have issues with covering the entire slip area.....

Learning curve.
Attachments
Fotor_146357742944578.jpg
Fotor_146357742944578.jpg (103.63 KiB) Viewed 337085 times

KurtM

#32 Post by KurtM » Wed May 18, 2016 2:40 pm

Here you illustrate my meaning when I say good slide making is mostly practice, practice, practice. It takes a lot of repetition to get just the right density of frustules on a cover slip, then just the right size drop of mountant to achieve full coverage without excess depth. The extra slides should be just the thing for trading and swapping fun, wouldn't it be great to get a few more folks into it? I understand there's a club in the UK that's about trading/swapping slides through the mail...
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

rnabholz

#33 Post by rnabholz » Wed May 18, 2016 4:04 pm

KurtM wrote:Here you illustrate my meaning when I say good slide making is mostly practice, practice, practice. It takes a lot of repetition to get just the right density of frustules on a cover slip, then just the right size drop of mountant to achieve full coverage without excess depth. The extra slides should be just the thing for trading and swapping fun, wouldn't it be great to get a few more folks into it? I understand there's a club in the UK that's about trading/swapping slides through the mail...
Good thing it is fun or all this practice would be drudgery...

As you say, the "mistakes" are perfectly usable, just a minor wound to the pride of the mounter.

I'm game for a Diatom Postal Club. Who is going to print the membership cards President Kurt?

gekko

#34 Post by gekko » Thu May 19, 2016 10:09 pm

I am really impressed with your dedication to this task and your strive for perfection.

rnabholz

#35 Post by rnabholz » Fri May 20, 2016 12:33 am

gekko wrote:I am really impressed with your dedication to this task and your strive for perfection.
Dedication is easy when it is so much fun, and you can share it with folks who appreciate it.

Thanks a lot

Rod

rnabholz

#36 Post by rnabholz » Sat May 21, 2016 9:57 pm

Out today to collect some new samples.

The Cedar River in Gilbertvile Iowa. The Cedar is a relatively good sized river.
Harvest 521 Gilbertville.jpg
Harvest 521 Gilbertville.jpg (134.78 KiB) Viewed 337049 times
A few good looking rocks for scrubbing.
Harvest 521 Rocks.jpg
Harvest 521 Rocks.jpg (112.79 KiB) Viewed 337049 times
Then onward to a small lake in a city park in Fairbank Iowa.
Harvest 521 Fairbank.jpg
Harvest 521 Fairbank.jpg (116.7 KiB) Viewed 337049 times
Gathered a couple rocks from near the boat launch. The rock had quite a batch of what looked like the snail eggs I had in one of my sample jars.

One last stop, that I forgot to photograph, was a fast running creek in a city park in Oelwein, Iowa. This steam had long algae streaming in the current which I understand can be an excellent diatom source. I grabbed a rock from the middle, and was surprised to find the bottom covered with hundreds of small worm like creatures. Taking care not to scrub the bottom and take any of the worms home, I gathered the good stuff and headed home.

I decided that I would strain these batches. It just makes sense to run the material through a medium fine strainer. The stuff I want will pass and the other stuff will not require any of my chemicals to clean it out of the mix

Three tubes, Hydrogen Peroxide will be the choice again.
Harvest 521 HP.jpg
Harvest 521 HP.jpg (82.24 KiB) Viewed 337049 times
Just 4 drops per tube and 5 minutes later this was the scene
Harvest 521 Tubes.jpg
Harvest 521 Tubes.jpg (77.96 KiB) Viewed 337049 times
It is getting right at the job. I will let it cook overnight, maybe adding a couple of fresh drops before retiring for the night.

KurtM

#37 Post by KurtM » Sat May 21, 2016 11:21 pm

Very nicely done post, sir; you certainly know how to keep the troops entertained! 8-)

I started over on my late April rock scrubbing sample from the San Saba River earlier today. Put about 2 ml of material in an Erlenmeyer flask, added roughly 100 ml 35% H202, placed flask in water bath in a beaker on the hot plate, and boiled that sucker most the afternoon till snow white. I just transferred the material to a centrifuge tube with the intention of precipitating the diatoms out, pouring off the H202, and replacing with LP ... but after the spin cycle the stuff instantly resumed fizzing with gusto upon removal from the centrifuge, so into the rack it goes to sit overnight.

I can't wait to see what you get. If I'm successful, I already know what I'll get so no suspenseful anticipation for me. I'm just reprocessing, hoping to get some nicer slides of what I already have. Still fun, though!
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

rnabholz

#38 Post by rnabholz » Sun May 22, 2016 2:08 am

KurtM wrote:Very nicely done post, sir; you certainly know how to keep the troops entertained! 8-)

I started over on my late April rock scrubbing sample from the San Saba River earlier today. Put about 2 ml of material in an Erlenmeyer flask, added roughly 100 ml 35% H202, placed flask in water bath in a beaker on the hot plate, and boiled that sucker most the afternoon till snow white. I just transferred the material to a centrifuge tube with the intention of precipitating the diatoms out, pouring off the H202, and replacing with LP ... but after the spin cycle the stuff instantly resumed fizzing with gusto upon removal from the centrifuge, so into the rack it goes to sit overnight.

I can't wait to see what you get. If I'm successful, I already know what I'll get so no suspenseful anticipation for me. I'm just reprocessing, hoping to get some nicer slides of what I already have. Still fun, though!
Thanks.

I took a quick look at the uncleaned sample, and the seemed pretty limited in variety, but admittedly, it was not a well agitated mix. So we will see.

Did you actually boil, or just heat to goose the reaction? I have just heated without boiling, but judging by the bubbles something good was happening ;^)

I'll be watching for your results.

KurtM

#39 Post by KurtM » Sun May 22, 2016 2:32 pm

I have learned to always take good looks at raw samples, and have the camera ready to document it, because what you see after processing isn't representative of living diatoms at all, except to nail species and study frustule features. Here's an example (probably shouldn't have used the garishly colored DIC with 1st order red compensator image, but it reveals the diatoms most clearly).

Conversely, what is seen in raw samples is seldom representative of what you find after processing for a number of reasons. One really must study both living and processed diatoms to get the full picture.
Attachments
4-3-16 0044_lzn pn 1024px.jpg
4-3-16 0044_lzn pn 1024px.jpg (189.3 KiB) Viewed 337019 times
4-1-16 0042_lzn 1024px.jpg
4-1-16 0042_lzn 1024px.jpg (158.31 KiB) Viewed 337019 times
Last edited by KurtM on Sun May 22, 2016 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

KurtM

#40 Post by KurtM » Sun May 22, 2016 2:50 pm

rnabholz wrote:Did you actually boil, or just heat to goose the reaction? I have just heated without boiling, but judging by the bubbles something good was happening ;^)
I started off by heating, and found, as you did, that mere heating causes lots of action that seems pleasingly satisfactory. But then I bumped up the heat just to try it, ended up with a fair gentle boil, so left it that way. I'd have to say that as long as the H202 is roiling the diatoms actively, all is well. Also, doing this in the Erlenmeyer flask produced little, if any, of the attendant foamy-fizzy "boil-over" that plagued me in the centrifuge tube.

This morning the centrifuge tube continues actively fizzing, so I intend to leave it in the rack until all reaction ceases.
Attachments
IMG_4176 1024px.JPG
IMG_4176 1024px.JPG (91.85 KiB) Viewed 337016 times
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

billbillt

#41 Post by billbillt » Sun May 22, 2016 3:22 pm

This has become a very interesting thread to follow... Like reading an engrossing detective story where you can't wait to see what happens next!..

BillT

rnabholz

#42 Post by rnabholz » Sun May 22, 2016 9:50 pm

Hey Kurt.

Your point about observing in all settings is a very good one. Forgive me not knowing the name, but in these cooking samples I saw the colonial type that grow in the tubes, the individual forms are triangular in shape. I am sure the tubes do not survive the cleaning, but seeing them in that setting helps appreciate more what I see later.

The batch I am cooking seems to be moving slowly. I think they had a good deal of organic, judging by the green slime that keeps rising to the top. I may turn up the heat a bit and see if I can kick it in the bum a bit.

On another front, while the cooking goes on unattended, I started working on my ringing table.

A VCR head for the bearing
Slide Ringing Table VCR.jpg
Slide Ringing Table VCR.jpg (124.79 KiB) Viewed 336999 times
After taking out a few screws, cutting a few wires, I came free.
Slide Ringing Table VCR Head 1.jpg
Slide Ringing Table VCR Head 1.jpg (64.77 KiB) Viewed 336999 times
Slide Ringing Table VCR Head 2.jpg
Slide Ringing Table VCR Head 2.jpg (80.11 KiB) Viewed 336999 times
Slide Ringing Table VCR Head .jpg
Slide Ringing Table VCR Head .jpg (66.35 KiB) Viewed 336999 times

I was using Kurt's fine homebuilt table as a model as seen here: http://sawdustfactory.nfshost.com/Micro%20Aquariums/

I thought I might make a couple of changes - I may live to regret it, time will tell. First, I decided to make the actual table from wood instead of plastic and metal - mostly because I had the wood handy. It also occurred to me that perhaps the extra mass might make it spin a bit longer.

Out to the garage to dig out the tools and cut some wood. I had some 3/4" plywood that had been sitting around a long time waiting for a purpose in life, so that got the call. Pretty straight forward stuff, for the base a piece 7"x6". I planned for the table to be 4" across. I cut a square 5x5 used a compass to draw a 4" circle. Then using my jig saw, ( gosh I hate that thing ) I cut something that could only charitably be called a circle. I scribed another line around the perimeter with compass and used the sander to true it up (did I tell you I hate jig saws?)
Slide Ringing Table Sanding.jpg
Slide Ringing Table Sanding.jpg (101.47 KiB) Viewed 336999 times

rnabholz

#43 Post by rnabholz » Sun May 22, 2016 9:55 pm

Then it was just a matter of cutting a piece for the hand rest support, and the actual hand rest itself, which was cut from some 1/8" hobby ply.
Slide Ringing Table Parts.jpg
Slide Ringing Table Parts.jpg (77.17 KiB) Viewed 336999 times
The other change I made from Kurt's approach accurred to me as I looked over the VCR head. One side had a hub that measured almost exactly 1". I thought that side would be perfect for the table. A 1" hole drilled part way through the table and some epoxy and that connection should be set.

The thought process went further and it occurred to me that the other side might be secured to the base the same way. With a 1" hole drilled through the base to accommodate the bearing and shaft that stood tall of the head's edge. There was not a great deal of surface area to glue, but as the assembly would not come under great stress, I think it will work just fine.

I took a file and roughed up the surface, applied the epoxy, lined thing up and placed a couple of weights on top to keep things held nice and tight together while the epoxy set.
Slide Ringing Table Glue.jpg
Slide Ringing Table Glue.jpg (83.84 KiB) Viewed 336999 times
Letting the glue set up well before finishing up the assembly.

rnabholz

#44 Post by rnabholz » Sun May 22, 2016 10:14 pm

Ok Glue is dry enough to indulge a couple of tests.

A light flip of the wrist, and the table spins for just over a minute. I think that will be fine.

And now a trial with paper and pencil
Slide Ringing Table Test.jpg
Slide Ringing Table Test.jpg (74.22 KiB) Viewed 336997 times
Liking that just fine.

billbillt

#45 Post by billbillt » Sun May 22, 2016 10:35 pm

Yep, that will work fine.. The bearings in VCR tape heads are very precision.. I have one here...

KurtM

#46 Post by KurtM » Sun May 22, 2016 11:15 pm

rnabholz wrote:...I saw the colonial type that grow in the tubes, the individual forms are triangular in shape.
That doesn't ring any bells, and has me all eaten up with curiosity. I demand pictures at your earliest possible convenience, or inconvenience will work too.

Very cool slide ringing table in the works, can't wait to see the finished product! Where'd ya score the VCR? JB Weld should work fine, I can tell you from experience the stuff'll hold the inlet pipe on a Model T radiator for quite a bit of running time. What are you gonna use for clips to hold the slide?

My reprocessing sample is still fizzing merrily along, so guess we're just gonna have to call it a slow day for diatom cooking.
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

mrsonchus

#47 Post by mrsonchus » Sun May 22, 2016 11:47 pm

KurtM wrote:I love this thread! Now that I'm back home, I'll have to post one similar to it. Or maybe I should wait until all my new stuff is in?

........... deleted for brevity

In the pile of mail that accumulated while I was on the road, I found the ammo I had ordered for my Brother QL-570 label printer that I snagged on eBay a few months ago, and after playing with it a short while I'm almost drunk imagining how much this baby is gonna improve my lab life. Here's a sample from only a few minutes hacking away before reading the (online) manual:
Now look what you've done! :D Those labels.... I love them! I've just ordered a Brother QL570U1 Thermal Desktop Label Printer and 23mm labels... Those labels are superb and as you say, will make lab-time very much more efficient and my for-sale slide labels should soon actually be legible!

I'm very pleased you posted this Kurt. :)
John B

KurtM

#48 Post by KurtM » Mon May 23, 2016 12:06 am

You may thank your fellow Englishman Tony Pattinson, who clued me in on it! For those of us who produce a lot of slides, and especially those of us who had a broken thumb once upon a time, the label printer is an absolute godsend!
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

gekko

#49 Post by gekko » Mon May 23, 2016 1:06 am

I am amazed at the superb workmanship, inventiveness, dedication, and results Rod, Kurt, and John have accomplished, and in such a short time. Rod, this is fantastic work. Thank you for taking us step by step with excellent illustrations.

rnabholz

#50 Post by rnabholz » Mon May 23, 2016 1:15 am

KurtM wrote:
rnabholz wrote:...I saw the colonial type that grow in the tubes, the individual forms are triangular in shape.
That doesn't ring any bells, and has me all eaten up with curiosity. I demand pictures at your earliest possible convenience, or inconvenience will work too.

Very cool slide ringing table in the works, can't wait to see the finished product! Where'd ya score the VCR? JB Weld should work fine, I can tell you from experience the stuff'll hold the inlet pipe on a Model T radiator for quite a bit of running time. What are you gonna use for clips to hold the slide?

My reprocessing sample is still fizzing merrily along, so guess we're just gonna have to call it a slow day for diatom cooking.

I will try and get you a shot of those babies, but I am quickly running out of Weekend Time, so it may have to wait until tomorrow -sorry.

I have a couple of stage clips from an AO 60 Wreck that I bought for a couple of parts I needed. They should work just fine.

And with that, Here she is:
Slide Ringing Table Finished Front.jpg
Slide Ringing Table Finished Front.jpg (80.91 KiB) Viewed 336973 times
Slide Ringing Table Finished 45.jpg
Slide Ringing Table Finished 45.jpg (90.48 KiB) Viewed 336973 times
Slide Ringing Table Finished Side.jpg
Slide Ringing Table Finished Side.jpg (92.2 KiB) Viewed 336973 times
Slide Ringing Table Finished Table.jpg
Slide Ringing Table Finished Table.jpg (66.88 KiB) Viewed 336973 times
Still need to do a more formal template for the table, but should work for now.

Now other than the Asphaltum Black that is basically Unobtanium what should I be using for some ringing?

rnabholz

#51 Post by rnabholz » Mon May 23, 2016 1:18 am

gekko wrote:I am amazed at the superb workmanship, inventiveness, dedication, and results Rod, Kurt, and John have accomplished, and in such a short time. Rod, this is fantastic work. Thank you for taking us step by step with excellent illustrations.
Thank you Gekko. I'm having fun learning about all of this, that makes all the activity easy to accomplish.

Glad you are enjoying it all.

Rod

KurtM

#52 Post by KurtM » Mon May 23, 2016 1:41 am

Oh fine, make a better slide ringing table than mine, see if I care! :P

Any old black modeler's paint will do, or India ink, or black RustOleum. Tell ya what made a difference in my outlook regarding ringing cement, and that's the solvent used to clean immersion oil off slides. I had been using 70% IPA which tends to be rather harsh on slides, have since learned that spit works best, and never dissolves ringing cement, slide label stickum, mountant, or anything else to speak of. Free, too.

But I still want a rock hard enamel type of paint for slide ringing, that builds up nicely and cures to a high gloss. If the asphaltum stuff Michel sent doesn't work for whatever reason, maybe we can go halves of a can of Pontypool...?

You ain't doing nothing at 3 am ... get me them pictures!
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

rnabholz

#53 Post by rnabholz » Mon May 23, 2016 3:19 am

KurtM wrote:Oh fine, make a better slide ringing table than mine, see if I care! :P

Any old black modeler's paint will do, or India ink, or black RustOleum. Tell ya what made a difference in my outlook regarding ringing cement, and that's the solvent used to clean immersion oil off slides. I had been using 70% IPA which tends to be rather harsh on slides, have since learned that spit works best, and never dissolves ringing cement, slide label stickum, mountant, or anything else to speak of. Free, too.

But I still want a rock hard enamel type of paint for slide ringing, that builds up nicely and cures to a high gloss. If the asphaltum stuff Michel sent doesn't work for whatever reason, maybe we can go halves of a can of Pontypool...?

You ain't doing nothing at 3 am ... get me them pictures!
No evidence that my table is better, it hasn't ringed a single side yet.

You clued me in on the spit thing a few weeks back, and it really does work, and discourages others from touching your slides. ;^)

Let me know about going halves on the paint, but we got to find another name for it, the name Pontypool is so odd.... people have to assume it is something shady.

gekko

#54 Post by gekko » Mon May 23, 2016 2:49 pm

I forgot to add that I enjoyed very much your very beautiful landscape images of the river and the lake.

rnabholz

#55 Post by rnabholz » Tue May 24, 2016 12:34 am

gekko wrote:I forgot to add that I enjoyed very much your very beautiful landscape images of the river and the lake.
Thanks Gekko. I thought some of you might be interested in what kind of setting I collect the samples.

At lunch today I ran out to pick up a couple of things in anticipation of a trial run for the ringing table tonight.

First was some rubber feet for the base. It tended to slide around a lot without them, but that was addressed with four no slip feet. Now it has to be lifted to be moved.

I also picked up some black Rustoleum paint.

Tonight I came home and started by cutting some paper into slide sized pieces, I needed to practice before making mistakes on my slides!

First to last practice dummy from the top to bottom. I wasn't concerning myself with size, just learning how to hold the brush and to see how the paint would flow.
Slide Ringing Table Practice.jpg
Slide Ringing Table Practice.jpg (77.24 KiB) Viewed 336928 times
By the last one, I was feeling pretty good that I could give the real thing a try.

With plenty of trepidation I placed a slide on the table, dipped the brush in the paint, gave the table a spin, and gently lowered the brush to the glass. First thing noticed was that the slide did not grab the paint quite like the paper did. I redipped the brush and lightly touched it down and the black ring darkened, and a few seconds later it seemed to be smooth and solid.

I stopped the table and this is what I saw:
Slide Ringing Table First Slide.jpg
Slide Ringing Table First Slide.jpg (68.86 KiB) Viewed 336928 times
Not perfect, but not terrible either! So I took my first breath in 3 minutes.

I can see that this will take practice, and there will be blood at some point, or at least some frantic cleaning of paint off of a slide....

I can see that the Rustoleum is too thick as out of the can, I noticed that it was wanting to "string" on me, when I lifted the brush. Think I will look around for other choices or perhaps thin it with some thinner.

gekko

#56 Post by gekko » Tue May 24, 2016 1:20 am

Very nice to see the well thought out, executed, and photographed progression. Would make a nice and very interesting video too, I think.

rnabholz

#57 Post by rnabholz » Tue May 24, 2016 1:46 am

KurtM wrote:
Okay I went looking tonight, and could not turn up the colonial form that I was speaking of yesterday.

But knowing that Kurt would not be satisfied with my weak excuses I shot a couple colonial forms that I did see, and a couple of wide field shots showing some nice diversity in the new samples. Hope that will satisfy him....
KurtsColonial1.JPG
KurtsColonial1.JPG (71.94 KiB) Viewed 336920 times
KurtsColonial2.JPG
KurtsColonial2.JPG (97.17 KiB) Viewed 336920 times
KurtsColonialField1.JPG
KurtsColonialField1.JPG (165.16 KiB) Viewed 336920 times
KurtsColonialField2.JPG
KurtsColonialField2.JPG (148.98 KiB) Viewed 336920 times

rnabholz

#58 Post by rnabholz » Tue May 24, 2016 1:48 am

gekko wrote:Very nice to see the well thought out, executed, and photographed progression. Would make a nice and very interesting video too, I think.
Thanks Gekko. I was thinking that I need to pick up a desktop mini tripod for my phone, that would make taking a video like that pretty easy.

KurtM

#59 Post by KurtM » Tue May 24, 2016 1:49 am

Okay, here's the scoop coming from Kurt the old fashion sign painter. A cheap jug of hardware store mineral spirits is your friend -- get some on the scene at once! Put a little in a condiment cup or other small container, and a larger amount in a coffee can. The first is for thinning your paint, and the second for cleaning your brush (okay, so use the coffee can for both, and forget the small cup). Get a roll of paper towels. Now procure an artist's palette ... from the recycle bin ... which to you means a glossy magazine or catalog.

Use your brush to transfer some paint to the catalog page; don't want much, just a good couple of brush dabs. Now dip the brush in mineral spirits, then into the bit of paint, swirl and blend. Manipulate paint to thinner ratio this way till just right, you'll know what's too thick and too thin. Now ring your slides, clean the brush when done.

Nervous? Don't be. A rag or paper towel wetted with mineral spirits makes a fine UNDO button. Wipe the paint off and try again. No limit to how many times this works.

This should work just like sign painting. When taking your brush to a car or whatever, as a beginner it's natural to be scared half to death. But a rag damp with thinner wipes it right off for a good hour or more before the paint approaches permanency. I thank my lucky stars I have a sign shop owner friend who showed me all this...

Attached photos: First one shows my homemade condiment cup holder and palette, which works very well for me. One cup for paint, and the other for thinner. I first paint the palette a little, then thin that paint, then paint the sign. As I go along I constantly add more paint and keep it thinned as described. Hope this makes sense! Second photo: a few of my early efforts, for a "MASH milepost" I painted for the Pioneer Flight Museum, where I do a lot of volunteer work. All free hand, with brushes...
Attachments
palette 2.jpg
palette 2.jpg (97.09 KiB) Viewed 336918 times
9-29-15 delivered 1024px.jpg
9-29-15 delivered 1024px.jpg (291.22 KiB) Viewed 336918 times
Last edited by KurtM on Tue May 24, 2016 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

KurtM

#60 Post by KurtM » Tue May 24, 2016 1:52 am

DANG!! I'm jealous of all those lovely diatoms you get up there, and we don't down here in Texas. Or at least, not that I've found yet!
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas