Amoeba proteus slides

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
Kambio

Amoeba proteus slides

#1 Post by Kambio » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:29 pm

Hi there.
Does anyone know how to produce permanent slides of Amoeba proteus without the other organisms that they feed on, i.e. chilomastix etc. in the slides. I have made two batches so far but I am unimpressed with my results....too few of the amoeba and too many of the other organisms.

zzffnn

Re: Amoeba proteus slides

#2 Post by zzffnn » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:39 pm

You may isolate them under a stereo scope with a 10 micron research pipette?

I would be interested to see your slide photos, once you feel comfortable posing them. I may even buy some of those, if your price is reasonable.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Peter

#3 Post by Peter » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:19 pm

Hi Kambio,
Perhaps if you told us what your present microtechnique is we may be able to give better pointers.
Peter.

Kambio

#4 Post by Kambio » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:38 pm

Where can I get these 10um research pipettes from....? I would love to get some. I have tried 'playing' with glass pipettes to taper them to a fine aperture but I dont have any success with my technique.

zzffnn

#5 Post by zzffnn » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:19 pm

Sorry for my brain fart. I meant 10 microliter.

This one, or similar ones, should work:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/New-Micro-Adjusta ... nav=SEARCH

Kambio

#6 Post by Kambio » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:06 am

Hi zzffnn.
Thank you for your reply. I hadn't even picked up that the units were incorrect....lol

I will give that site a go.

Cheers,
Gloria

Kambio

#7 Post by Kambio » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:12 am

Hi Peter.

Thank you for your reply. My process is a tad long winded. Essentially I use an old fashioned centrifuge that has 2 tubes and is hand spun to concentrate the organisms. Then put them through various solutions still using the gentle hand operated centrifuge, working as gently and as slowly as possible until I get them into a situation where they are in dilute balsam and ready to mount on slides. The original specimens I buy from Southern Biological. I do have them in my pond happily 'grazing' under the water lilly pads, but isolating them and keeping them happy is too time consuming.....lol

Peter

#8 Post by Peter » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:14 pm

Hi Kambio,
I have never tried this , however, Gray's "The Microtomist's Formulary and Guide" contains the following procedure (I have abridged). Smear a slight quantity of fresh egg albumen on a clean coverslip. Each individual protozoan is placed in the center of the coverslip and allowed to expand, while it is doing this a flask with water is fitted with a bored bung the bore having a glass tube drawn out to a fine point. The flask is set to boil. As soon as the protozoan is expanded, gently pick up the coverslip and pass the under side through the jet of steam. This instantly hardens the protozoans and cements them to the coverslip. They should be then placed in fixative for a few minuets before being washed and processed as permanent mounts.
Hope this helps.
Peter.

Kambio

#9 Post by Kambio » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:40 am

Thank you Peter, sounds like it might be worth a try.