Slides of pathogens

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
Pat Thielen

Slides of pathogens

#1 Post by Pat Thielen » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:21 am

Hi everyone!

I'm wondering if any of you might know of a good source for quality slides of various pathogens. I'm interested in photographing bacterial, parasitic and other pathogens. I've seen some slides at places like Amazon, but I'm not sure of their quality.

Thanks much!
Pat Thielen
Motic BA310, C & A Scientific Premiere SMZ-07, Swift Eleven-Ninety, Swift FM-31, Bausch & Lomb VM349, Olympus CHA
Nikon d810

Pat Thielen

Re: Slides of pathogens

#2 Post by Pat Thielen » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:33 am

Dagnammit! I posted this in the wrong forum -- I saw the word "slide" and just went with it. Sorry about that -- It really should have gone in the collecting forum.

One day I'll get this right... One day...

:lol:
Pat Thielen
Motic BA310, C & A Scientific Premiere SMZ-07, Swift Eleven-Ninety, Swift FM-31, Bausch & Lomb VM349, Olympus CHA
Nikon d810

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:04 am

Hi Pat,

in our microscopy group we once had a meeting about the work of Robert Koch, founder of micro biology. One of our members has actually visited the archive of a hospital in Berlin where Robert Kochs original slides are stored. They look really messy and from then on I was much more relaxed about the craftmanship of the slides I make. 8-) .

We then had a look at slides of about all pathogens available. These slides were borrowed from a hospital and research institute in Hamburg that is speciallized in infecteous diseases. You will have a similar institute in your country, but probably not in the neighbourhood.

Bob

Charles

#4 Post by Charles » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:50 am

MicroBob wrote:Hi Pat,

in our microscopy group we once had a meeting about the work of Robert Koch, founder of micro biology. One of our members has actually visited the archive of a hospital in Berlin where Robert Kochs original slides are stored. They look really messy and from then on I was much more relaxed about the craftmanship of the slides I make. 8-) .

We then had a look at slides of about all pathogens available. These slides were borrowed from a hospital and research institute in Hamburg that is speciallized in infecteous diseases. You will have a similar institute in your country, but probably not in the neighbourhood.

Bob
Welcome MicroBob. It is great to have you here!

Are you Robert Ratford of the many Facebook groups you set up?

MicroBob

#5 Post by MicroBob » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:01 pm

Hi Charles,

I'm sorry but I'm not Robert Ratford. I don't use facebook and don't know his facebook groups. Are they interesting enough to get involved with facebook?

Bob

Pat Thielen

#6 Post by Pat Thielen » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:04 am

Hey all,

I thought I'd bump this thread and ask again. I've found a couple sources for slides or various pathogens; there's Triarch Inc. in Wisconsin who make some very nice slides and another company in Germany -- Lieder that has a huge selection. A bit more expensive and I haven't yet bought any from them (although I plan to). What I'd like to find are slides of Malaria in the Lyme's disease bacteria. Neither of these companies have these. I kind of thought Malaria wouldn't be too hard to find as it infects so many people (too many). Do any of you have any suggestions as to possible sources for these? Maybe there are places I'm not even thinking of.

Thanks much!
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810

MicroBob

#7 Post by MicroBob » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:40 am

I would like to repeat my suggestion of contacting a specialized hospital. A university with a medical branch might also work.
Often they are quite open to amateurs with in interest in their topics.

Nance

#8 Post by Nance » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:56 pm

Thanks for bumping this thread again... I just happened to be perusing the topic... (ps: thanks for the leads on finding some good pathogen slides).

but I have been wondering... now with digital photography - do we really need to have the prepared slides to compare with our own specimens or will just great digital photos of the prepared slides suffice? photos of slides illuminated with darkfield or other means...

https://www.microscopyu.com/galleries/pathology (as an example). I thinjk you are onto a great vocation Pat, seems we need a library of these kind of images, but much better. Especially for lyme bacterias - I need to pm you soon and discuss the specific topic.

Micro-Bob

#9 Post by Micro-Bob » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:55 pm

I think it depends on why you would look at the slides. If it were you profession to detect these bacteria I would strongly recommend the slides. As an amateur you could take what you like. With bacteria images would be enough for me as they are too small to see much of their structure in the light microscope.