PVA-G mounting medium

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
Oxalis80

PVA-G mounting medium

#1 Post by Oxalis80 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:36 pm

Hello!
I'm going to do some experiments with PVA Glue as a mounting medium, following the superb Walter Dioni protocol.
I tried Nail Polish for dry specimens, and now I'd like to make experiments with plant tissues.

I had problems finding PVA glue in Italy (here the word "Vinyl glue" only means the white acetic glue for cardboard and wood), until I realized it was the (less common) liquid glue for school, sold in 50 ml bottles with a sponge tip.

In the article "Mounting media revisited" Dioni recommends using PVA-G as a standard mounting medium; in a previous article he assesses pure glue as an average performance medium, preferring the formula with glycerin and borax.

My question is, what's the role of Borax in the formula? I can easily find glue and glycerin, but borax is more difficult to find. Does the formula work anyway without borax?
I can imagine the answer is (maybe obviously) "Yes", there are many examples of pure PVA glue on this website; I didn't understand whether it acts as a clearing agent or improves refraction index.

Thank you!
Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration. Thomas Alva Edison

Optika BP20/400 modified
Optika ST-30-2LF

Peter

Re: PVA-G mounting medium

#2 Post by Peter » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:34 pm

Hi Oxalis80,
I don't know why borax is included in this formula, however, it is often used as an antibacterial agent.
Borax should be easily obtained at a bulk laundry supplier.
Hope this helps.
Peter.

zzffnn

Re: PVA-G mounting medium

#3 Post by zzffnn » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:47 pm

Based on my rustic college chemistry/pharmaceutical science course and Wikipedia, I am guessing borax is used as complexing / texturing agent. Member einman may be able to tell you more.