Sealable glass sample cuvette for portable inverted scopes or low power field use

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
zzffnn

Sealable glass sample cuvette for portable inverted scopes or low power field use

#1 Post by zzffnn » Wed May 03, 2017 3:18 am

This sealable glass sample cuvette may be used for portable inverted scopes, such as Swift FM-31, Nikon H, McArthur scope, Meade Readiview, ect:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281076730577

Its optical wall depth is about 1mm for the bottom wall, 1mm for (water) sample and 1mm for top wall. Optical quality is quite good. It will work for any inverted scope/inverted (1-1.2mm corrected) objectives.

Its lid is very loose and needs mounting putty to stay on. But with Bluetak, it seals well enough. Size is much smaller than a standard slide.

I like to use it in the field, because my sample water usually smells bad and petri dish cannot seal sample completely. When using a portable inverted scope like Meade Readiview, sometimes I spilled that sample water on my face :-( My DIY flat slide is not durable enough/breaks easily and cannot seal well.

For upright (0.17mm corrected) objectives, anything at or below NA 0.25 will work beautifully, even in darkfield. Not sure about a NA 0.3 / 0.17 objective. Definitely not for NA 0.4 / 0.17 objective (you would see significant spherical aberration and haze, especially in darkfield).

I don't know the seller, by the way. Shipping was not fast, though that seller seems to be the cheapest on eBay. I mentioned here, as I think it may be useful for Rod, Kurt, Dale or Hakan.

Please note some similar looking cuvettes may have thicker walls, which we microscopists would not want (original application of those cuvettes is in spectroscopy or analytical chemistry, in which thicker walls does not matter that much).

75RR

Re: Sealable glass sample cuvette for portable inverted scopes or low power field use

#2 Post by 75RR » Wed May 03, 2017 11:13 am

Ready made mini aquariums - could be pretty useful ... Thanks for the heads up
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

zzffnn

Re: Sealable glass sample cuvette for portable inverted scopes or low power field use

#3 Post by zzffnn » Wed May 03, 2017 12:24 pm

I am glad it may be useful to you, 75RR.

Its main strength lies in its durability and ability to become watertight. Good for field use.

If you don't really need the above features, a micro aquarium made of cover slips would be optically superior and more versatile for upright scopes.

Dale

#4 Post by Dale » Wed May 03, 2017 10:57 pm

I invested in glass, and glass cutter, and will try to fabricate my own, but thanks
for thinking of me. My new lab only needs flooring and an 8' desk mounted, but I
don't get the new house keys for a few days.
Dale
B&L Stereozoom 4. Nikon E600. AO Biostar 1820.

zzffnn

#5 Post by zzffnn » Wed May 03, 2017 11:11 pm

Dale wrote:I invested in glass, and glass cutter, and will try to fabricate my own, but thanks
for thinking of me. My new lab only needs flooring and an 8' desk mounted, but I
don't get the new house keys for a few days.
Dale
Dale,

Do you think you can make a version without the 1mm thick top? I would put down my order with you now, if you can.

I have a hand glass cutter, but I don't think mine is precise enough to cut/make those slender walls. Regular glass also may not hold up well and can crack easily, when cut into really thin and slender pieces.

And I need to find a durable glue too - my aquarium silicone glue could not grip durably onto walls made of old credit cards.

Dale

#6 Post by Dale » Thu May 04, 2017 1:12 am

I did not plan on a cap. Once I have one built I'll post pictures. The purpose is for
high volume scanning with the inverted, but I really want to get up to speed with
the diatom processing, There is this awesome thread here..............
Dale
B&L Stereozoom 4. Nikon E600. AO Biostar 1820.