Clearing Agents

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
einman

Clearing Agents

#1 Post by einman » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:04 am

Initially while gathering materials to begin making my own slide mounts I had planned on using Xylene I have stored in the garage. It is readily available at any Lowes or Home depot. However the safety profile is less than desirable having a flash point of about 80F and is a health hazard. Other alternatives available are:

Histo-Clear
Histo-clear II
Americlear
Hemo-De
Masterclear
Clearity
to mention a few. The prevalence of alternatives to xylene can be explained by the fact they consist primarily of citrus D-limonene with some additional components.

While Histo-clear consists of 95-100% d-limonene and its low odor version, Histo-Clear II consists of 10-30% d-limonene mixed with about 70% unidentified aliphatic hydrocarbons.

This pretty much describes the other brands as well.

Has anyone tried Histo-Clear vs Histo-clear II?

Given the primary ingredient is D-limonene I thought might look at purchasing it on sites like Amazon where it is often promoted as a "cleaning" agent. Although there are many brands, the price is not really that much less than Histo-Clear or Histo-clear II.. You can still expect to pay about $60/gallon, although shipping tends to be less via Amazon than through a scientific supply house.

Any suggestions?

How many times can you re-use a typical 4 oz container of this material for prepping tissue?

mrsonchus

Re: Clearing Agents

#2 Post by mrsonchus » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:33 am

Hi einman, over here in the UK I pay £85 + VAT and carriage per US-gallon - a total of about £125 per US-gallon all-in!

One US-gallon (3.7L I think) lasts me between 1 year and about 8 months depending of course upon my activities. I've quite a few posts detailing the entire process that you may find helpful - just search by 'mrsonchus' and a few key words - I've lots on this forum that will help you begin.
Fell free to ask me directly here or in pm also - no trouble at all to take you through it to get you started.

Oh, I find the Coplin jars often allow slides to touch - awkward in use and very expensive to buy.
I use the superbly cheap trough+racks from China - they take up to 24 slides at a time - and you'll need at least a dozen, double that if you progress...
cheap and very good staining trough with rack

They are unaffected by alcohol, acetic acid, anything in fact including Histoclear.
John B :)

p.s. This is a book I bought back in Jan 2015 - the best current book there is I'd say - worth every penny.
Ruzin's microtechnique book
John B

einman

#3 Post by einman » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:57 pm

Thanks so much.

The Coplin jars were quite cheap actually. Although I will check out the trays you suggest.

I have the Ruzin book. Bought it some time ago, after first reading your escapades, along with the following:

Methods in Plant Histology by Charles Chamberlain University of Chicago 4th edition 1930
Elements of Botanical Microtechnique John E Sass Iowa State College 1940
Plant Microtechnique Donald Alexander Johansen 1940

These books are quite old but I enjoy owning, browsing and learning from such old texts. The discussions on technique, reagents etc are incredible. Such a fascinating hobby. I could see how it could consume your time completely. One reason for hesitating. I tend to either go full speed or don't go at all. LOL

mrsonchus

#4 Post by mrsonchus » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:03 pm

Ha, I have them too - all excellent books and as you clearly realise, a good 90% of the techniques are still good for today's little-changed 'paraffin technique' in the essentials.
I often think of such sources as almost 'collateral sources' - so many quite chance lines written, or written in a certain way that suddenly illuminates almost an entire principle - for example the 'acid stain' 'basic stain' categories and their complementary but not entirely separate use..

I've always approached study from an understanding of first-principles rather than the 'try to remember it all' perspective.

Take a step back from Ruzin's really very long (in terms of stage duration) protocols to realise that most herbaceous tissue needs far less time at each stage than the 4hrs+ often written by Ruzin.

Start with a soft stem (stems are so much easier to orient when embedding in wax) tissue, say Daffodil flower-stem.

Stages in a nutshell,
kill it (FAA-50 for >=24hrs)
dehydrate it (Isopropanol series)
remove alcohol with wax-antemedium or 'clearing agent' - (Histoclear)
infiltrate with molten wax
embed in wax
section from wax-block
de-wax with wax solvent (Histoclear)
remove Histoclear with alcohol
remove alcohol with water
stain with aqueous stain such as Safranin
dehydrate with alcohol
stain with alcohol-base stain such as Fast-green
remove alcohol with Histoclear (Histoclear is compatible with resinous mountant such as 'Numount' of 'Omnimount')
mount in resinous mountant

Hope that helps a little -
Ruzin can make the process seem quite gargantuan - it's not easy, but it's not as difficult as Ruzin's book may suggest.
John B

billbillt

#5 Post by billbillt » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:31 pm

Hi John,

Thanks for sharing a condensed list of procedures that you use... As always you post the most interesting items!..

BillT

Culicoides

#6 Post by Culicoides » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:36 pm

Hi, JohnB,
Re your mounting protocol, do you know if histoclear is compatible with Canada balsam? I am looking for something that balsam ( that is natural balsam, not balsam thinned with xylene) can be mixed with, for mounting small insects that is:
Insect in isopropyl alcohol to histoclear to mount in balsam thinned with histoclear.
With your experience of histoclear, do you think this might work?
I hope you don't get too much snow in Cumbria over Christmas; amazingly we have missed the snow entirely down here in Guildford so far.
All good wishes, JOHN B.

mrsonchus

#7 Post by mrsonchus » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:16 pm

billbillt wrote:Hi John,

Thanks for sharing a condensed list of procedures that you use... As always you post the most interesting items!..

BillT
Hi Bill, thanks my friend, always good to hear from you.
John B. :)
John B

mrsonchus

#8 Post by mrsonchus » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:32 pm

Culicoides wrote:Hi, JohnB,
Re your mounting protocol, do you know if histoclear is compatible with Canada balsam? I am looking for something that balsam ( that is natural balsam, not balsam thinned with xylene) can be mixed with, for mounting small insects that is:
Insect in isopropyl alcohol to histoclear to mount in balsam thinned with histoclear.
With your experience of histoclear, do you think this might work?
I hope you don't get too much snow in Cumbria over Christmas; amazingly we have missed the snow entirely down here in Guildford so far.
All good wishes, JOHN B.
It's coming for you...... :shock:

Hmm, I've no experience with natural balsam I'm afraid - but I'd be surprised if they were incompatible. Why not just use either 'Onimount' or 'Numount' (Numount is sold by Brunel in very reasonably-priced pots)?
Regarding Omnimount - it's not my favourite as I find it invariably seeps out of the edges of the cover-slip and gives a rather messy finish. It also takes absolutely ages to harden - over a month or even longer. This is when used with the superb Histoclear (original). Numount on the other hand is I find very good indeed - dries and hardens quickly (I'd say dry in about 1hr, hardened in about 2 days).

By 'dried' I mean stable enough to take an early look at the slide without fear of it losing it's cover-slip. By 'hardened' I mean stable enough to enable thorough cleansing of the slides without fear of damage - I usually use soapy water, cabinet air-dry and soft polish if necessary. It can only really be said that the slide is also at it's optical best at the hardening stage also.

Hope that helps a little.

John B.
John B

Culicoides

#9 Post by Culicoides » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:37 pm

Many thanks. That sounds worth giving it a try. I'll contact Brunel after the holiday. JOHN B

einman

#10 Post by einman » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:08 pm

Here is a website that offers multiple mounting options depending on your application.: https://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/pr ... media.aspx

It is just amazing the variety based on specific application.