"Ringing" gelatine mounts

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
Bufo Bill

"Ringing" gelatine mounts

#1 Post by Bufo Bill » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:00 pm

Hi does anyone put a couple of coats of ringing solution onto their gelatine mounts to be sure it's properly sealed? Does something like Brunseal need thinning before use? My mounts are quite messy looking, although I hope things improve as I get back into the swing of things. Any advice welcome.
All the best from Bill.
My 'scope: Seben SBX-5 Stereo Microscope.

mrsonchus

Re: "Ringing" gelatine mounts

#2 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:20 pm

Hi Bill, I think you should be fine with Brunseal, or even nail-polish (try a few different ones if using NP as the results can vary significantly). I suspect that most resinous mounting-media would make a good sealant around fully dried and set gelatin-mounts.

Euparal is a really good and easy alcohol-miscible mounting medium also. The main advice I would give is to give the mounts (of all types) plenty of time to 'mature' - up to a couple of months! Then, once you're happy that they have truly set-dried-stabilised etc clean the edges around the cover-slip up with a sharp razor, they apply a tidy sealant.

Of course they're ready to view within about 4 hours - but be careful not to disturb the cover-slip when handling or cleaning - it can take a long time to set really hard & stable.

Personally I'd try some nail-polish as a first attempt. Making neat and tidy mounts is absolutely a matter of practice - they simply get better the more you make I have found.

regards, John B. :D :)
John B

Bufo Bill

Re: "Ringing" gelatine mounts

#3 Post by Bufo Bill » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:25 pm

Very grateful for the advice John. :D
Many thanks from Bill.
My 'scope: Seben SBX-5 Stereo Microscope.