UV-curing LOCA adhesive for mounting radiolaria

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
Micro-Bob

UV-curing LOCA adhesive for mounting radiolaria

#1 Post by Micro-Bob » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:24 pm

Hi together,

a while ago I got ready-to-use cleaned fossile radiolaria from Barbados. I began to think about what mountant I should use to make slides from this material. A high refractive Index is not necessary for radiolaria. Some radiolaria are quite big so this won't be a very thin preparation. A mountant that would shrink a lot might crush the big radiolaria. So I came to the idea to use an UV hardening adhesive. Here I had 3 types in the drawer: Stuff to glue false finger nails on, stuff to smear onto the nails and stuff called LOCA (liquid optica clear adhesive) for glueing glas screens onto smartphone displays. I chose to use LOCA. I bought the cheapest that was available on ebay. I have no experience what differences there are. LOCA is mostly sold without an explicit maker information so there might be surprises.

What did I do?

- round cover slips cleaned with ethanol and moved through the flame of an alcohol flame (for optimal spreading on the cover slip)
- drop of radiolaria in water onto the cover slip (difficult to get the right density)
- drying at 90 °C
- 1 drop of LOCA onto the cover slip (seem to penetrate very well)
- holding slide over cover slip, capillary forces attach it upwards to the slide
- applying and releasing vacuum 5x to remove bubbles, not strictly necessary (cover slip down)
- Into UV-lamp (cover slip down) for a couple of minutes (I use a pink finger-nail thing, always easy to find :lol: )
- LOCA becomes like cured silicone, elastic but not fluid
- apply paint ring (I don't know how important this is)
=> All radiolaria right below the cover slip, good contrast in the slide
=> 2 month storage showed not sinking down of radiolaria

I keept the cover slip down through the whole process and was rewarded with a nice even preparation. There are still some bubbles in the slide, so there is room for improvement. The big advantage of LOCA is that it doesn't shrink wihile curing, and that it is really fast. I can't say much about it's other properties so I don't know whether it would be suitable for the mounting e.g. of stained botanical sections.

Curing with sunlight is probably also possible. I can't test it because we don't have any at the moment, rain, rain, more rain...

The used LOCA was something like this: https://www.ebay.de/itm/UV-Loca-TP-2500 ... Sw3WxZ6gzX

It would be nice if you try it out for your applications and report your experiences here.

The image is not stacked, 10x objective, bright field

Bob
Attachments
Radiolaria in LOCA.jpg
Radiolaria in LOCA.jpg (363.01 KiB) Viewed 6298 times

Hobbyst46

Re: UV-curing LOCA adhesive for mounting radiolaria

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:49 pm

Hi

Thanks for showing the detailed preparation method.

Incidentally, I was excited with your suggestion for inverting the slide-coverslip for application of my PS-CBO mounting, so I ran a quick and dirty experiment right away with one slide. Indeed, although I did not apply any statistical analysis, I believe that there is a significant improvement. However, upon heating, the washer and cover-slip began sliding beneath the slide (sounds funny, but it is true!!) and smeared the specimen beyond control. SAo I will try and devise a fixture, or a mounting table, with fixed depressions or locations for the slides, to prevent them from moving.

Could I pay a month of sunshine against a few hours of your rain?

Hobbyst46

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:55 pm

And these mountings with LOCA look very nice!!

billbillt

#4 Post by billbillt » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:44 pm

WOW!!.. this is very good.. Thanks for the detailed info.. May I ask what type of vacuum set up you have?.

BillT

MicroBob

#5 Post by MicroBob » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:18 pm

My vacuum setup: A Mightyvac hand pump, originally intended to drain motor bike brakes, and a frame with a seal to put upon one single slide.
The screw has no meaning, it is just to keep the bandsawn frame together. The glas is 4mm acryl. I do 5 pushes, wait a couple of seconds, then press the release lever. Then again... microscopy is sport! :lol:
As far as I know it is better to apply and release the vacuum than to just hold it.
Attachments
Vac3.jpg
Vac3.jpg (212.42 KiB) Viewed 6277 times
Vac2.jpg
Vac2.jpg (202.33 KiB) Viewed 6277 times
Vac1.jpg
Vac1.jpg (242.61 KiB) Viewed 6277 times

einman

#6 Post by einman » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:56 pm

Beautiful work both in execution and presentation.

KurtM

#7 Post by KurtM » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:09 pm

Nicely done, thanks for a very interesting post! Very good idea to cure the mount inverted, those of us who (more or less) specialize in diatoms have learned to cure our mounts inverted to help keep everything as close to the cover glass as possible.

Ringing the slides probably isn't necessary with LOCA, but probably doesn't hurt either. At any rate it makes the slides look a lot nicer. Love the vacuum job, gonna have to "borry" your idea and make one for my lab!

(MicroBob, I sent you a PM)
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

billbillt

#8 Post by billbillt » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:38 pm

Yes, slide ringing adds a nice touch..

BillT

MicroBob

#9 Post by MicroBob » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:39 pm

KurtM wrote:(MicroBob, I sent you a PM)
I didn't receive it. I sent you an e-mail instead.

Is there a common problem with PMs on this forum? I had it more than one time that PMs were transmitted with a delay.

einman

#10 Post by einman » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:24 pm

I asked teh same questions regards PM's and was told they stay in your outbox until the person logs on and reads them. Not sure I understand that process.

MicroBob

#11 Post by MicroBob » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:28 am

I looged out, logged in again, Kurts pm is still not visible for me.
Perhaps this system tries to decelerate our lives to a more healthy speed level? :lol: