Artificial "Pond" Project(s)

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
einman

Artificial "Pond" Project(s)

#1 Post by einman » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:43 am

Here are some pics of some of my "pond/lake" projects
Image The beginning of a "lake" project.
Image The beginning of a pond project including lighting capable of IR, Halogen, Flourescent etc by choice of bulbs. There are also collecting tubes which, upon completion, allow for the placement and removal of slides for easy observation of organisms.
Image a 3 year old hay infusion

Hobbyst46

Re: Artificial "Pond" Project(s)

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:06 pm

Thanks for showing this aquarium setup. It is interesting.

I would appreciate some more elaboration. As this is a simulation of a pond or lake, what is the purpose of each type of lighting? is the IR for heating? which light do algae prefer? Do you bubble air through the water? is that a filtration pump in the photo? do you use an under-gravel filter, like in a fish tank?
Thanks in advance!

einman

#3 Post by einman » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:19 pm

More to come but in short yes I can use the lamp for heating, algae growth, or just plain lighting. Actualy this is a re-start as I had a similar set-up running for about a year or so and it worked quite well. We suffered a house fire 3 years ago that pretty much wiped out all my projects. The original had fish, algae and plants and was supported by a rather strong LED lamp having LED's emitting various wavelengths for the purpose of promoting plant growth.

The filter shown may be replaced. It is the original and is designed for filter medium which I insert, and generally never replace, letting nature take over with the establishment of bacteria etc. A new addition is the tubes which I made to support microscope slides based on an article I had read. Supposedly the organisms take residence on the slides, why I am not clear, and you simply "harvest" them as it were by removing the wet slides, place them inverted in a petri dish for observation. Fortunately I have 2 very good inverted scopes. I am interested in trying different medium on the slides to attract specific organisms introduced from our local lake.

I have been very successful growing algae with the IKEA lights focused on the same 10 gallon tank as well. You get local growth near the lamp. The Hay infusion in the gallon jar was started about 3 years ago and flourished going through cycles. Originally the jar was literally crammed with hay. As you can see there is not much left. Occasionally I would add yeast or other materials to observe the effect on the environment. You could see transitions from dominantly ostracods to copepods etc.

I tend to move slowly on these projects as I have so many interests that divide my attention. As summer draws closer I switch from microbiology to entomology and outdoor sports like inline skating, biking etc. Although I do not look forward to getting older per se I do look forward to retiring so I can spend more time with my "natural science" pursuits.

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:57 pm

Very inspiring information. Thanks a lot!!

MicroBob

#5 Post by MicroBob » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:34 pm

Thank you for showing your indoor ponds. I would probably look into water samples a lot more if I had them just a step away. How do you practically go about when installing and maintaining these ponds? Do you use pond water for setup and topping up? Do you treat the aquariums and ingrediencese in a special way?
Are your ponds easy to find by nose or are they living room and wife compatible? Is there a risk that unhealthy conditions can arise and it is possible to identify them in time? My office/lab has a bay window to the west with a lot of sun in the afternoon - would this be acceptable?

einman

#6 Post by einman » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:54 pm

If properly set up there is no smell to speak of. I use distilled water or tap water that has been allowed ti sit for some time before use, to which I add lake water and debris. Being in the sun should work great for algae and thus anything that likes to eat it.

charlie g

#7 Post by charlie g » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:04 am

Thanks for sharing these indoor microcosm concept 'ponds', einmam. Freshwaters although incredibly small part of our globes water systems...well freshwaters manifest oh so many variations in habitats..for communities of organisms. The trick for the indoor microcosms you show us in this posting...is what starter organisms you stock the systems with, what type of illumination you bathe these systems in, what length of light cycle you give these microcosms.

Air-stone bubbles 'burp/splash up' huge amount of waters in a system...I'd sense your jar with the lid and air-stone..is too small a volume for the churn of that air-stone source.

Consider use of a: 'bubble-box' filter nested in a larger volume of water than that jar/lid setup you show us....the bubble box might even be replaced with a wetland plastic tank above the waters...the air bubbles lift water to the overhead wetland...the return waters gently trickle down to the water volume.

The joy is to collect natural planting 'chunk' from your area...have this the pioneer community for your setups...introduce organisms to this initial setup. Many non-moving waters systems also give excellent habitats..these too may support your areas native wetland communities.

Thanks, einman for this encouraging post...all microscopists, urban or rural dwellers, may enjoy these indoor stable setups. Charlie guevara

einman

#8 Post by einman » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:26 pm

Charlie,

Thanks for the comments.
In regards to the airstone I can vary the rate of the flow. This jar has been going for 3 years with all manner of organisms quite successfully. I tend to favor lower rates of bubbles as otherwise the moisture gathers at the lid and makes its way out of the jar, thus the towel.

The 10 gallon aquarium is a revival of another successful project that consisted of fish and plants taken from a local lake. This time around I am only changing the collection tubes. I have the light on a timer!

coominya

#9 Post by coominya » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:27 am

charlie g wrote:
Consider use of a: 'bubble-box' filter nested in a larger volume of water than that jar/lid setup you show us....the bubble box might even be replaced with a wetland plastic tank above the waters...the air bubbles lift water to the overhead wetland...the return waters gently trickle down to the water volume...
Many non-moving waters systems also give excellent habitats..these too may support your areas native wetland communities.
You seem to know a bit about this subject. I am buying two small tanks, a 37cm x 22cm and a 35cm x 10cm. One comes with a submersible filter that I assume I won't be using. I want to breed protozoa from my local creeks in them as well as the weed and water plants. Do I get a small pump to bubble air through a stone as you suggest? I just want to keep the tanks low maintenance.