Mounting medium for small invertebrates?

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
clengman

Mounting medium for small invertebrates?

#1 Post by clengman » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:01 pm

I came across this on the EMS website today:

CMCP Macroinvertebrate Mounting Medium:

CMCP is a colorless, non resinous, water miscible mounting medium for permanent transparent mounts. This medium used like Canada Balsam, it can be used to mount almost any material, provided it is not stained, calciferous material, or thin tissue sections. This mounting media has the advantage of allowing live or preserved specimens to be mounted directly from water or alcohol.
Free living nematodes and live parasitic worms are among the organism suitable for mounting with CMCP. The CMCP mounting provide then with rapid relaxation, death, and clearing action.

https://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/pr ... media.aspx

I've been looking for simple methods for mounting small insects and other invertebrates. This seems like it might be useful. Does anyone have any experience with it?

einman

Re: Mounting medium for small invertebrates?

#2 Post by einman » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:11 pm

Not yet although I have it posted on my bulletin board to inquire about purchasing some.

clengman

Re: Mounting medium for small invertebrates?

#3 Post by clengman » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:37 pm

I'm seeing a lot of papers where it's been used for permanent mounts of oligochaetes and chironomid larvae. Wonder if it would work for relaxing and preserving tardigrades and rotifers...