D-Limonene to clear?

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
MsLichen

D-Limonene to clear?

#1 Post by MsLichen » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:38 pm

I've been reading up on a variety of alternatives for the amateur via Walter Dioni's series of articles on Micscape, and I am planning to jump in with both feet beginning this weekend. For clearing wax, Histoclear appears to be a relatively safe option compared to Xylene and Touline (both likely misspelled!). Finding small amounts of Histoclear has been a challenge, but looking at the MSDS it appears it is nothing more than 95-100% D-Limonene? If so, then wonderful! I can get a 1/2 gallon of 100% D-Limonene at a local janitorial supply for a small sum.

I plan to test Dioni's alternative mounting mediums with a variety of plant materials and stains over the next few months to see what works well. I'm starting with PVA-G, which he spoke very highly of in his article reviewing 10 year old slides. My one book on the subject is a vintage John Sass -- Botanical Microtechnique -- which thus far has filled in the blanks where the Dioni articles leave me scratching my head.

So, succinctly:
1) Is Histoclear and D-Limonene really the same thing?
2) If anyone has advice for using PVA-G (stains to avoid, technique tips, etc) or advice for any of the Dioni alternative mounts, I'd love to read about them!

Thanks - Jenny

Hobbyst46

Re: D-Limonene to clear?

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:19 am

Jenny
Fortunately there are several experts here who can suggest a few practical general purpose solutions.

rabitt

#3 Post by rabitt » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:34 am

Hi MsLichen,
I also have reviewed Walter Dioni’s articles and purchased his book (saves going to the computer).
Also purchased a small bottle of D-Limonene from Amazon.
Mrsonchus is knowledgeable on the subject as well as other members of this form. You can find posts by searching for D-Limonene.
I haven’t been active on the forum for many months and trying to find some time to get back into it, checking in and following posts when I can.
rabitt

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:27 am

Mslichen
I used a fructose syrup a few times for fresh unfixed, unstained plant specimens. We do not have Karo around here, so I bought the smallest amount of fructose in a supermarket (it is cheap). To prepared a very concentrated solution - ~80% in distilled water (I have to check exactly), weigh out the amounts of fructose and distilled water into a screw-cap vial. Use a magnetic bar stirrer if you can. Otherwise, swirl it by hand from time to time. Heat it on a hot plate or preferably in a hot water bath. Dissolution is slow. The end product is a thick colorless syrup that does not solidify. I keep it at room temperature.

About 5 months ago I mounted moss and seawater algae (after rinsing with DW) in the syrup. So far, no crystallization. The specimens look fine and chlorophyll-green as before. The only issue is a few air (or oxygen?) bubbles near the filaments - they appeared there within a couple of days after mounting.

mrsonchus

#5 Post by mrsonchus » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:55 am

Hi, a while back as I was myself starting-out I followed the simply superb work of Mr D - here's a post that I made then that you may find useful, Walter D's methods in action...

Good luck! :D :D John B. :)
John B

MsLichen

#6 Post by MsLichen » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:47 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:Mslichen
About 5 months ago I mounted moss and seawater algae (after rinsing with DW) in the syrup. So far, no crystallization. The specimens look fine and chlorophyll-green as before. The only issue is a few air (or oxygen?) bubbles near the filaments - they appeared there within a couple of days after mounting.
This is good to hear this worked well for you! I was planning to try fructose (in the form of Karo syrup) eventually. I'll just need to ensure my cleaning protocols as well as my slide sealing skills are top notch, since Karo is a major ant attractant.
mrsonchus wrote:Hi, a while back as I was myself starting-out I followed the simply superb work of Mr D - here's a post that I made then that you may find useful, Walter D's methods in action...

Good luck! :D :D John B. :)
John, I came across one of your posts which is what sent me in quest of the Walter D. articles on Micscape! My lovely spouse didn't bat an eye when I purchased not one but two microscopes, but I figure I need to reign in the microscopy budget for a bit to stay within good graces! Walter D's methods are beautiful in their simplicity and basic availability/affordability, so just the ticket.

I plan to begin this adventure tomorrow, once I settle on a plant to begin with. The only things growing outdoors right now (other than moss) are the turnips in the cold frame and the branch tips of the willow and lilacs. Daffs may be poking up, but I can't bear to cut them down this early in the season. I'm taking my son to the woods today for a hike, perhaps something will grab my eye. My problem is I want to do it all at once, when I know I need to build the skills a little at a time!

Hobbyst46

#7 Post by Hobbyst46 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:33 pm

MsLichen wrote: I was planning to try fructose (in the form of Karo syrup) eventually. I'll just need to ensure my cleaning protocols as well as my slide sealing skills are top notch, since Karo is a major ant attractant.
Since I prepared and stocked the fructose syrup ants have avoided my house... :P

wporter

#8 Post by wporter » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:56 pm

Do the posters mean to use glucose or fructose? because Karo (the clear kind) is almost pure glucose.

MsLichen

#9 Post by MsLichen » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:01 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote: Since I prepared and stocked the fructose syrup ants have avoided my house... :P
Your local ants must have joined the low sugar diet craze! :lol:

Hobbyst46

#10 Post by Hobbyst46 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:35 pm

wporter wrote:Do the posters mean to use glucose or fructose? because Karo (the clear kind) is almost pure glucose.
I meant fructose. Walter Dioni suggested (separately) Karo or fructose. I do not know if fructose is less prone to crystallization than glucose (or sucrose for that matter).

MsLichen

#11 Post by MsLichen » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:57 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:
wporter wrote:Do the posters mean to use glucose or fructose? because Karo (the clear kind) is almost pure glucose.
I meant fructose. Walter Dioni suggested (separately) Karo or fructose. I do not know if fructose is less prone to crystallization than glucose (or sucrose for that matter).
Apologies for abetting the confusion! I combined the two in my head for reasons that remain unclear to even myself! I haven't looked into the local availability of fructose, but we have enough health food stores that I assume it will be relatively easy to find.

mrsonchus

#12 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:36 am

I bought a small packet from our local supermarket when I made the fructose mounts with Mr Dioni's directions.
John B