Of diatoms and air bubbles

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
Hobbyst46

Re: Of diatoms and air bubbles

#31 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:49 pm

mrsonchus wrote:Hi again, yes, the syringe method was my first method!
Thanks John, it looks like the thoughts of some of us, from different countries or continents, focus on similar possible solutions to a given problem! at least, the same gadgets, like the large syringes in this case.
I must say, that the neatness and beauty of your setup and layout of the bench set a high standard!

I do not have bench space for true vacuum pumps, so the syringe is the choice.

MicroBob

#32 Post by MicroBob » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:29 pm

Hi Doron,
what I like in your syringe and 3-way-cock method is that you use components that are widely available (if you have contact to people working with them) around the whole world. A method requiring a lucky ebay find is not easy to copy for most people who are interested in the topic.
I think I should go shopping for 100 pcs. packs of syringes and cocks and a new cupboard! :roll:

Bob

Hobbyst46

#33 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:53 pm

Hi Bob
These large syringes are sold in small packages - 2/pkg sometimes - and the stopcocks are 10/pkg often. See for example:

https://www.ebay.com/p/5x-50ml-Plastic- ... 2981815187
(not sure about the quality of these; Becton Dickinson are excellent, if you can get them in a small package for a low price)

And from Cole-Parmer: "Stopcocks with Luer Connections, 3-way, Male Lock, Non-sterile; 10/Pk"
Perhaps there are cheap Chinese ones on eBay - I did not check.

The syringes and stopcocks are meant to be disposable and can be sterile - I recommend non-sterile, of course. I see that such syringes are marketed for Hydroponics - first piece of equipment to start a home grass plant!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: