Some Of My Homemade Permanent Slides

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
MicroBob

Re: Some Of My Homemade Permanent Slides

#31 Post by MicroBob » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:35 pm

The right amount of sharpening depends on the final size of the image: If you sharpen it right in the original size it will be too little after reducing the size for the forum. This is also a matter of taste but I would increase the amout of unsharp masking and accept a little grain for a crisper look of the object (just me).

It is interesting that the software has an effect on the banding - different ISO-setting? Can you see the EXIF-information of the files?
I counted banding line-pairs (dark-bright) in your images and they were always about 20. At 60 Hz this could equal 1/3 second shutter time. Is the shutter time really that slow?

Hobbyst46

Re: Some Of My Homemade Permanent Slides

#32 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:53 pm

MicroBob wrote:The right amount of sharpening depends on the final size of the image: If you sharpen it right in the original size it will be too little after reducing the size for the forum. This is also a matter of taste but I would increase the amout of unsharp masking and accept a little grain for a crisper look of the object (just me).

It is interesting that the software has an effect on the banding - different ISO-setting? Can you see the EXIF-information of the files?
I counted banding line-pairs (dark-bright) in your images and they were always about 20. At 60 Hz this could equal 1/3 second shutter time. Is the shutter time really that slow?
Hi Bob, the MICAM software has an "antiflicker" feature in its Device Options->Video Source Settings window. It detects the AC line frequency (or you can select the appropriate freq) and somehow adjusts the shutter operation (I am too lazy to study how).
The MICAm has no shutter speed button. Instead, there is an Exposure Time slider in the Device Options->Video Source Settings->Camera control tab. You can set the 1/speed time, in milliseconds. A bit unusual for a photographer perhaps, but very "Physics" like!