A Few Sections From Old Blocks

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
mrsonchus

A Few Sections From Old Blocks

#1 Post by mrsonchus » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:55 pm

Hi all, I've been practicing my staining of late and have been sectioning some old wax-blocks I have in my boxes of Coleus and Sunflower leaves in TS.

Here is a section of a coleus (the coloured kind kept as houseplants) leaf, sectioned at 8µ (too thin really for good structure) and stained with Safranin & Fast-green stains. Mounted in 'Omnimount' resinous mountant.

A couple of close-ups of sectioned glandular trichomes of the leaf,
and

Back in 2017 (June/July I think) I sectioned longitudinally more coleus through the growing-tip to show the meristem (the 'growing tip') where new cells are added to the plant's stem and the emerging leaf and branch primordia are seen developing. I thought some may find them interesting. The staining is again Safranin and Fast-green....

A whole stem-tip, LS,

closer-in and then labelled,

That which I've labelled branch primordia I now believe (with 2 more years under the belt) to be leaf-edges of leaves orientated at a 90 deg anfle on the stem to the obvious ones.... Still not sure though,

The stem is quite nice as it's square, here's a section (TS) of one, a very hairy plant indeed!

Hope you like them, great fun staining, still masses to learn though. :)

John B.
John B

ChrisR

Re: A Few Sections From Old Blocks

#2 Post by ChrisR » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:18 am

Super!

Hobbyst46

Re: A Few Sections From Old Blocks

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:37 am

Very nice and interesting. What is the function of the small hairs along the stem ?