Latest Slides - Solomon's Seals

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
mrsonchus

Latest Slides - Solomon's Seals

#1 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:40 am

Hi all, I've been processing and sectioning some of my specimens from 2017, namely 'Solomon's Seals' - a garden plant here in the U.K., generic name is Polygonatum, the species are several, many hybrids created for gardens etc, all very similar. Forgive me then for not giving an exact species, but I suspect that the variety in my garden may be a hybrid - or perhaps Polygonatum.multiflora - not sure...

A couple of pictures of the plant,
and

This plant, as may for some be seen from the parallel leaf-veins, is a monocotyledon, a good subject also for some tissue protocol testing not to mention sectioning, staining and slide-making.

Here are those parallel leaf veins,
ws_DSCN8382.jpg
ws_DSCN8382.jpg (58.74 KiB) Viewed 6669 times
This is a basic stem section (transverse) cut at I think 8µ and stained with Safranin and Fast-green, mounted in 'Omnimount' permanent resinous mountant.... This section shows a typical herbaceous monocot's structure. Namely scattered vascular bundles rather than discrete bundles arranged around the edges of the section. This stem proved to be surprisingly difficult to section well, being prone to uneven 'waviness' around the edges of sections, due I think to the presence of a complete ring of lignified fibers beneath the epidermis.

Anyway, here's an image of a stem TS, looing closely at this image this is probably a 5µ section rather than an 8µ, as the central pith-parenchyma cell-walls are quite damaged, whereas the 8µ sections I've cut have perfect paraenchyma.

Closer-in the red/pink stained fibers are clearly visible and may be seen surrounding those vascular bundles that are peripheral.

Here are a few images of individual vascular bundles.
This VB is one of the randomly (seemingly at least....) scattered number typically within the central parenchyma (pith) of the stem. This VB has a line of fibers at each end, but is not surrounded by fibers as are those within that continuous peripheral band of fibers (see next VB image for that type).

Here's said VB within fibers,

Here's one stained with Toluidine-blue stain - a very useful stain to use for a 'quick look' at a new batch of slides, as it shows just about every tissue-type in various shades of blue, purple and sometimes red. I seldom use it though for permanent slide staining as it quite often fades with time, a shame as it can be a beautiful 'metachromatic' stain for many plant tissue types.

Here's a leaf section, shown here through the central main vein in transverse or 'cross' section....

This leaf is interesting as it has a typical leaf structure for a monocot - in that the upper & lower epidermis is of similar cells, and within the leaf the cells are not differentiated into the tall-thin 'palisade' cells and 'spongy mesophyll' cells of a typical dicot leaf, but are all of one type - spongy-mesophyll - spongy in the sense that it is a tissue with a very large percentage of free air-space within, as may be seen from the next image. As a bit of a bonus, the parallel nature of the vascular bundles very often give a much clearer view across the vascular bundles that seen with the angled veins of a dicotyledon...

Closer-in the 'sponginess' of the air-space filled tissue is seen,

A better view, stained with Toluidine-blue and focused on the cell-walls rather than chloroplasts within, to show the multiple branching - often quite 'tubular' nature of the inter-cellular joins, typical of spongy mesophyll. Some spongy mesophyll cells are even X-shaped or U-shaped!

I also sectioned and mounted some of my favourite, but a swine to make well, sections - the 'paradermal' sections of the leaf of this interesting plant. The paradermal section is cut parallel to the surface of the tissue, in this case a leaf. I love these sections as they reveal, to my mind at least, the true nature of the leaf's structure, especially of course when accompanied by the transverse sections as seen above.
A leaf tissue-block orientated for paradermal sectioning will yield relatively few good sections before it is exhausted - which is why I make at least 4 or 5 when I do these....
The sections are always in parts rather than an entire leaf-width as the orientation is very difficult indeed. However, they show the vascular-bundle routes nicely, and as the microtome's blade sections the mesophyll parallel to the surface of the leaf, the complexity of the spongy-mesophyll connections become apparent.

Here's a paradermal section that cuts through several layers of cell-types, from the epidermis and leaf-veins through to the spongy mesophyll below. The epidermal sections also have passed through stomata, enabling their arrangement within the pattern of cells on the surface to be seen, this arrangement varies greatly and is of taxonomic value, often seen in leaf epidermal-peels.
Also visible are the bundles of raphides lying parallel to the surface - the darker-'greyish' cell-sized obejects scattered about in the section, between the veins....

Closer in the details emerge In the image below the section is through the large vein on the left running from image top to bottom, the spongy mesophyll with it's green-stained chroroplasts, air spaces and branched cell shapes and joins, and the outlines (cell-walls) of several stomata stained red by the Safranin....

From the paradermal aspect, the cell shapes are clear,

Veins also,
and
and

Also a surprise when I made these were the rather good views of bundles of crystals (probably raphides of Calcium oxalate) that lie within cells, oriented parallel to the leaf surface, seen also a cross-section with the transverse leaf sections. I'll also add some polarised images of these bundles if I get the time...

Just time for a few raphide pics, flower sections still to come tomorrow.
Here are some with part-polarisation, paradermal view
and crossed polarisers to extinction, paradermal view,

A part-polarised leaf, transverse section view
and

Paradermal bundle of raphides,

Back soon, my battery's about to give-up.

p.s. apologies for the total lack of labels, I'll try to get the time to add some over the weekend....
Last edited by mrsonchus on Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
John B

mrsonchus

Re: Latest Slides - Solomon's Seals

#2 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:42 am

A quick flower longitudinal section,

A closer-in view of a couple of anther pollen-chambers,

Looks a bit messy, I think that's due to the tapetum degenerating - maybe....

The pollen grains appear to have been sectioned in 'hoops' almost - very likely they would benefit from either a thicker section or the cross- section-view (to follow) may improve things....
A pollen 'hoop'?

The interior of the pollen chambers are full of pieces of randomly-sectioned pollen grains, assuming that almost-mature grains were ready within. The red-stained 'blobby bits' are the remnants of the tissue surrounding the pollen chamber. The Polygonatum has a 'secretory tapetum' a layer of cells that lines the pollen chamber and breaks down, it's protopasm etc surrounding the later-stage pollen grains as seen here I think.... The sections may be too thin to give good pollen grain sections here, or perhaps the stage at which they have been preserved makes it difficult to section them in a useful way... I also have this plant's ovaries and anthers in wax-blocks oriented for transverse sectioning, which may improve things, we'll see when I make those TS sections and slides....

These are (2) ovules, seen within the ovary at the bottom of the flower image above, the space in the middle of the lower ovule is the developing gametophyte - the egg-sac, ready to receive sperm-cell nuclei from the pollen grains that will land on the flower's stigma when it opens - these flower sections are all of closed flowers....

A nice close-up of the egg-sac to-be,

Oh yes, here's a (mitotically) dividing cell, with the new dividing cell-plate becoming visible, from the ovary tissue (i.e. the 'parent plant). Not the best image but all I have at this early stage.

p.s. apologies for the total lack of labels, I'll try to get the time to add some over the weekend....
John B

PeteM

#3 Post by PeteM » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:01 am

Excellent & thanks.

MicroBob

#4 Post by MicroBob » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:33 am

Hi John,
thank you for posting this very interesting report! Did you do the stem section embedded in wax?

These crystal bundles are probably not nice to the edge of the blade!

Bob

Hobbyst46

#5 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:45 am

very methodical and beautiful. The views of the oxalate crystals from different directions are superb.

MichaelG.

#6 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:58 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:very methodical and beautiful. The views of the oxalate crystals from different directions are superb.
+1

Thanks for sharing your work, John.
MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

billbillt

#7 Post by billbillt » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:45 pm

Hello John B.,

This series of photos is to be considered as some of the best that have ever been posted.. You have a natural talent for Botany and the microscopy that goes with it.. Thanks for sharing these great photos with us.. I never tire from viewing them...

BillT

mrsonchus

#8 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:03 am

Hi all, back again with an update!
Thanks fellows above for your very generous comments, It's always great to know others may find my Botanical adventures interesting. :D :D
This afternoon I had time to get to a few more of the 25 wax-blocks that I have prepared of the various parts of the subject, the 'Solomon's seals' plant - Genus Polygonatum.

I mentioned that I was going to section some anthers in cross (transverse) section as well as the rather disappointingly confused longitudinal sections already imaged in earlier posts. Well, today I've sectioned some blocks that have both anther and ovary tissue oriented for transverse sectioning, and some at least of these I hope to have stained and mounted sometime tomorrow - or at least a few for a quick look!

I also sectioned some more stem transverse tissue, and some more leaf TS and paradermal (on the same section). Here are a few images from today's sectioning session....
These are leaf parts in molten wax during the embedding stages, laying them flat in the blocks will orientate them for paradermal sectioning, standing them on-edge will be good for transverse sectioning...

This is the 'dry-block-heater' that I use for embedding, to keep wax and forceps hot whilst the steel wax-mould can be used on the hot (about 60 deg C) surface of one of the Aluminium blocks of the heater. The small heater (blue) on the shelf above keeps the plastic cassettes and steel moulds hot and ready to use. On the right is a cassette with wax and tissue inside, cooling on a couple of the cold Aluminium blocks not in the heater.

Here are some of the tiny flowers in wax, some are entire - as seen sectioned longitudinally earlier, some are cut in half to give pieces containing anthers, and others containing the ovary - these are the tissue pieces I sectioned transversely today...

Here's a section of a leaf cross-section and paradermal sections. The leaf is mounted the wrong-way-up so that it will be correct when viewing under the 'scope - with the label on the left, as I prefer to use slides.

Stem sections in wax look like this,

Once dried I store some still in the wax and ready to de-wax, stain and mount when I get the chance (I usually have dozens of extra slides from each tissue-batch). Great for staining practice also!

Here are several slides placed into the first de-wax bath, the first stage from sections as in the above images still in wax, to fully stained and mounted slides....

Here are a few roughing-sections coming off of a new block, the full face of the block is approaching at this stage, after which the tissue sections begin to appear.

As this image shows, today's sectioning produced quite a few very nice slides, hopefully some of which will be stained and mounted tomorrow if I get the chance.... As you may see, I've been sectioning at a variety of thicknesses, ranging through 3µ, 5µ, 7µ, 8µ and 10µ - different thicknesses show different details depending upon tissue-type etc. The slides are also marked with degrees for the various blade-angles I have used, and with comments for the duration of time spent by a section upon the surface of the water-bath - some sections are best left to stretch only briefly (see marked "quick pickup") while others may be best left for a couple of, or even several minutes. All of these factors must be optimised and recorded if decent quality slides are to be made.

Sooo, I've been busy today and hopefully may have some new slides with different views to post!

Back soon, thanks all for joining me and giving your kind input.
John B

billbillt

#9 Post by billbillt » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:17 pm

Thanks for the wonderful update, John B,.. I am following you with great interest...

BillT

mrsonchus

#10 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:28 pm

Hi Bill, thanks my friend for joining the adventure!

I mounted a quick 10µ transverse anther and ovary slide stained with Safranin & Alcian-blue, a good thickness and stain-mix for an initial look at morphology, lightly stained only at this stage.

This image is of the still-wet slide, and so is not at it's (optical) best.... As I write this I have a couple of 3µ, 5µ and 7µ versions also, soon to be ready for a first analysis and comparison. I also have several stem TS sections mounted directly onto coverslips this am, these may prove interesting also when I get to them.

Here's a first look then at a 10µ transverse section through several excised ovaries and anthers or Polygonatum.multiflorum (flower closed). Stained lightly with Safranin and Alcian-blue and mounted in 'Omnimount' resinous mounting medium. A good start for a first look at morphology...
ws_polygonatum 1.jpg
ws_polygonatum 1.jpg (83.09 KiB) Viewed 6556 times

Oh yes, here are a few Polygonatum.multiflorum stem transvers sections mounted directly onto coverslips as an aid to quality. The section should be adjacent to the coverslip when mounted, rather than having a layer of mounting-medium between the tissue and the underside of the coverglass. This should help image quality at higher N.A.....
The coverslips are Fisher-Scientific Premium, 24x30mm, No.1 thickness (all I have, rather than No.1.5..)
Back later.
John B

billbillt

#11 Post by billbillt » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:32 pm

Hi John B.,

An adventure it certainly is... Thanks for the updates... looking forward to more installments!...

The Best,
BillT