Acridine Orange Protocol

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
microaussie

Acridine Orange Protocol

#1 Post by microaussie » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:21 pm

Hello,

I am looking for an acridine orange staining protocol for thick paraffin embedded plant rhizome sections. Also, any feedback on a suitable fixative would be appreciated. I have read that using acetic acid in the fixative is not advisable when using a fluorescent stain like acridine orange. Thank you.

Seb28

Re: Acridine Orange Protocol

#2 Post by Seb28 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:53 am

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3 ... ode=ibih19

Stem, leaf, and bud tissue of sweet potato, tomato, and pepper were embedded in paraffin, sectioned, mounted, and stained with 0.01, 0.1 and 1% aqueous and 0.1% alcoholic solutions of acridine orange. Temporary and durable mounts were prepared and irradiated under short and long wave ultraviolet light. Intensity and specificity of the fluorescence imparted to tissues were chiefly affected by type of fixative. Best results were obtained with fixatives containing formalin but not acetic acid. Tests on the effect of pH obtained with McIlvaine's buffer between 4.5 and 8.3, and made only with the aqueous stain, showed 6–8 to be optimal. Aqueous staining 1 hr in 0.1% solution, pH 6–8 is recommended for temporary mounts. Durable mounts in a nonfluorescent resin can be made after differentiation in buffer and dehydration in dioxan solutions.
-Reichert Polyvar
-Olympus IX70
-Zeiss Photomicroscope
-Canon 600D

microaussie

Re: Acridine Orange Protocol

#3 Post by microaussie » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:42 pm

Hello Seb28,
Thanks for the reply, but I have already seen that. I would liked to have read more, but I am not willing to pay for it yet. I was hoping for a protocol laid out in more simple terms, as I am new to staining.