Small Insect Specimens:

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
Rodney

Small Insect Specimens:

#1 Post by Rodney » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:44 pm

I have an interest for small insect specimens, esp. the aquatic forms of early development from water to land and really all forms. The microscopic forms seem really interesting to me and I was wondering if anyone had a few photos to share of early development.

Rodney

gekko

Re: Small Insect Specimens:

#2 Post by gekko » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:54 pm

Hi Rodney,
I have an image of a larva of a fly (Tanypodinae), but I doubt very much that it would be of interest to you (there are many such images on the internet). Perhaps some other forum memeber may have something more useful. In any case, here are the links to the midge larva (image and video):
http://s1070.photobucket.com/user/micri ... x.jpg.html
https://vimeo.com/108217329

Mintaka

#3 Post by Mintaka » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:30 pm

That's a good stitch job, gekko. I have often lamented about these things being too big to get a single shot of.

Rodney

#4 Post by Rodney » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:49 pm

Very nice images gekko I like them. I have always been interested in fresh water biology esp. more so in my retirement years. These groups do represent a very large system and which a good many can be parasitic. The size of these groups can be all over the place but generally you can view a good many of them at 100x magnifications and lower. The free living flatworms and round worms are a very interesting group to look at along with the parasitic groups of aquatic insect young stages included. I find it very interesting and can be a little easier to view some of these species that I collect from around my ponds.

Rodney