Staining forage fish eggs

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
MikeBradley

Staining forage fish eggs

#1 Post by MikeBradley » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:45 am

I’ve been asked to help a local marine citizen science group involved in counting eggs from forage fish (sand lances etc). I’ll be preparing calibrated images to assist in training their new volunteers. I would like to also explore staining of the eggs to enhance visibility against the fine sand background and I’m wondering what stains might be suitable? Samples for experimenting are limited (and precious) so the forum recommendations would be very helpful. Any staining protocols found to work would be very useful too. After the egg counting the eggs are sent for eDNA analysis and not returned to the beach.
Thanks for any advice,
Michael
Olympus BH2,
AO110
Carl Zeiss Standard WL
Canon 90D

MicroBob

Re: Staining forage fish eggs

#2 Post by MicroBob » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:07 am

Hi Michael,
I can't recommend you a stain but would suggest that you check the compatability to the following DNA analysis. Som stains might attatch to DNA and influence the results.

What you might consider too: Leave the eggs unstained and stain the rest for better contrast.

Bob

Hobbyst46

Re: Staining forage fish eggs

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:14 am

Two different thoughts, of slight relevance:
1. I recently tried to stain marine foraminifera with common stains - methylene blue, Congo red and others; I will post the results if of interest, the bottom line is that the dye is washed away by water and only a tiny fraction of it is permanent.
2. Easter eggs colors (never did it myself...).