A Small Practical Question

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
DonSchaeffer

A Small Practical Question

#1 Post by DonSchaeffer » Thu May 07, 2020 5:46 pm

Is there any way to make cover glasses more visible. I was my slides and cover glasses and put them on a soft cloth to dry. I often can't see the cover glasses--they are all but invisible. I even tried coating the edges with red nail polish but ended up ruining the cover glass. Does anyone have this problem?

Mraster2

Re: A Small Practical Question

#2 Post by Mraster2 » Thu May 07, 2020 6:36 pm

DonSchaeffer wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:46 pm
Does anyone have this problem?
Yes! but not an entire solution.
The best I have come up with to date is to prop them up at a 45deg angle approx against something (plastic lid or similar) on top of the cloth (kitchen tissue) and mark the cloth with a black cross just in front of the regiment of cover glasses, to remind me that something invisible lurks nearby.

It is advisable to alert the domestic authority /kitchen staff/ and remove as soon as they are dry to a safe container :)

Watching with interest for other ideas.

DonSchaeffer

#3 Post by DonSchaeffer » Thu May 07, 2020 7:36 pm

That's a thoughtful suggestion. Thanks.

mrsonchus

#4 Post by mrsonchus » Thu May 07, 2020 9:59 pm

I use that plastic strip with sharp points along it. It's meant for the tops of walls, fences etc to deter climbing-over by placing sharp points along the top. I use strips of one of the smaller sizes, placing clean coverslips propped-up against the spikes in rows ready to hand during my slide-making sessions....

This is the sort I use - strips about 6 inches long and about 3 inches wide - simple and useful. They're also handy to similarly hold cleaned slides. They also make good drying-racks as they fit in my air-dryer with coverslips and/or slides on-board.

Here's an image of some coverslip-mounted sections standing in one length of spikes as above.....
coverslip mounts 1.jpg
coverslip mounts 1.jpg (102.91 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
If you have trouble seeing them just put the strip on or in front-of a piece of black card or similar - I can always see them easily with or without anything on them...
John B

DonSchaeffer

#5 Post by DonSchaeffer » Thu May 07, 2020 10:56 pm

Now that's an idea. I wonder if I could use muffin tins.

DonSchaeffer

#6 Post by DonSchaeffer » Fri May 08, 2020 4:50 pm

I'm using a paper egg carton. Thanks for the idea.