Vintage field portable microscopes

This is the place where collectors can discuss their passion.
zzffnn

Vintage field portable microscopes

#1 Post by zzffnn » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:16 pm

Any AO /B&L aficionado here have those portable models?

I am asking for AO and B&L as they may be more pocket friendly. I don't really need an antique, I only want functionality and features.

Examples include Spencer 60H and 1970 military field microscope:
http://www.leitzmuseum.org/Spencer-Americab.html

I hope I can own one in the future. It has to be 160TL, light weight (truly portable), has a real condenser and binocular though.

Currently I use my $120 LOMO Biolam for this purpose, though it still weights at 8 lb 3.4 oz (3727 grams) when fully loaded. Lighter would be nice - stability is not a big concern. I don't take many photos (almost always with flash, if I do) and usually only record videos. My afocal camera/adapter rig only weight 14.8 oz or 419 grams.

Can owners kindly measure their portable scope's weight and let me know the scope's price range, if possible? I don't want to spend over $300 on this, under $150 would be nice :mrgreen:

I already have 3 pocket monocular scopes that max at 40x objective magnification. So I don't need pocketability for this quest.

Charles

Re: Vintage field portable microscopes

#2 Post by Charles » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:41 pm

I have the 1970 AO 3050 military scope but it is an infinity system. It says it's a light weight field but weighs about 10lbs in the case with battery/transformer. These are not cheap and run about $400-700 depending on condition:
AO+3050+Military+Case.jpg
AO+3050+Military+Case.jpg (95.14 KiB) Viewed 10132 times
AO+3050+Military+LeftFront.jpg
AO+3050+Military+LeftFront.jpg (72.21 KiB) Viewed 10132 times
AO+3050+Military+Right.jpg
AO+3050+Military+Right.jpg (79.64 KiB) Viewed 10132 times

zzffnn

#3 Post by zzffnn » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:07 pm

Thank you very much, Charles. You have a beautiful instrument there!

I don't mind AO Spencer's infinity system, as I have a complete set of AO infinity objectives.

How much does the scope weight, by itself, without battery, light source or box?

Would you be so kind as to recommend some cheaper and lighter alternatives?

I read about the elegant Toyoda MKH and related models, but those seem to be monocular only (I could be wrong though).

Charles

#4 Post by Charles » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:08 am

The AO 3070 is a monocular scope and by itself, weights about 5lbs.

Swift and Columbia also made microscopes for the military.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/COLUMBIA-FIELD- ... Sw5VFWKUqw

And the here is the Tiyoda military scope you are referring to. It looks to be in pretty bad shape but might sell fairly cheap.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TIYODA-MKH-JAPA ... SwFNZW1Rhq

There are some smaller inverted scopes starting with the Swift:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swift-FM-31-LWD ... SwFNZWwQ8y

And a cheaper clone of the Swift:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/40X-400X-Invert ... SwQJ5USl74

This AO is small compact scope and it has electrical lighting which could be converted to LED and batteries and it sells for real cheap.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Optica ... Swhh5TpG~7

zzffnn

#5 Post by zzffnn » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:23 am

Thank you so much, Charles. I must be an impossible customer, with lofty demands and tight budget :mrgreen:

I already have two scopes that are functionally similar to the Swift FM-31 or its clone. I would like a real condenser and/or binocular view, if I were to buy again.Swift FM31 and its clone does not have a real condenser. The only pocket scopes of that kind that have real (but miniature) condensers include the very rare Chinese Army Field microscope, Nikon H and McArthur microscope.

The last AO Spencer scope, that you mentioned, looks like it does not have a real condenser, nor does it offer binocular view.

The Swift & Columbia model looks interesting and I have considered it before. What I was / am not sure about is its weight. It looks like it won't be much lighter than my LOMO Biolam, though I could be wrong.

The AO 3050/3070 anf Tiyoda MKH looks attractive. If only I can have binocular view............

75RR

#6 Post by 75RR » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:16 am

Looking at the prices of some of these microscopes got me thinking that unless you are into some serious hiking or similar weight critical pursuit, then one of the smaller American Optical microscopes might be a practical solution.
Converted to LED and powered by batteries and with a well designed carrying case, which can do much to mitigate weight, you could save a lot of money.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

zzffnn

#7 Post by zzffnn » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:53 am

Since my LOMO Biolam at 8lbs works for field use but is still a bit too heavy, a lighter version (but no less functionally) at 4 lbs will be very useful.

I have used my Biolam that way a few times. By itself, it is not too heavy. However, on a field trip day (say on a hiking trail), I have to carry a 4-member family's drinking water on my shoulder, so less weight would be nice.

A hard plastic full-featured scope, with base that can accept bottled water for stability, will be really cool :mrgreen:

Newton offers an inverted field scope that can connect with a camera tripod. It has a good condenser and offers oil immersion capability too. If only it has binocular view and is a bit cheaper........

charlie g

#8 Post by charlie g » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:24 pm

I see the military scope demands that case..and it was for no nonsense microscopy of critical importance.

But for hobbyist use, there are many lightweight student biological microscopes which can be fitted with quality optics from a home bench microscope..at low cost ( $300, or $600 dollars for a hobbyist field scope...I'd put those duckets into your bench microscopy). and for use of these low weight stands..you still need the surface to place it on, you still need the support utensils...I say a student stand in a five gallon bucket..inverted..the bucket is the stands platform. Charlie guevara

zzffnn

#9 Post by zzffnn » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:55 pm

Good points, Charlie G.
I was actually looking for a hard plastic 160TL DIN/RMS scope, but could not find one. I asked AmScope before and they said their scopes are made of metal now. I also check their weight specifications, unfortunately none of those is significantly lighter than my LOMO Biolam.

charlie g

#10 Post by charlie g » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:12 am

At this point I have so many stands..they are coming..well never mind...I ask for opinions...can a light student stand..if it is speced as: 160 TL..can it be fitted with quality 160 TL optics..can you trust the frame to be good tolerance..to 'trick the stand out' with quality optics?

I ask for some thoughts on the matter..vrs dropping: $600, or $300 for a brand field scope? charlie guevara

zzffnn

#11 Post by zzffnn » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:49 pm

^ Yes.

As long as the stand is light weight enough for your purpose.

As long as you are not fitting an oil NA 1.4 objective on it and use it that way in the field.

For ultra light weight stands, one may may have concern about stability and centration, which may affect objectives with very tight working distance (such as NA 1.4 ones) or high magnification (such as 90x-100x).

I have never used 90x-100x oil objective in the field with a super light stand though, so I am only guessing.

75RR

#12 Post by 75RR » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:14 pm

... you still need the surface to place it on, you still need the support utensils...
This is a good point.
I would have thought the lack of a stable work surface is a major drawback to field microscopy. The user of a military field microscope would expect to have, indeed need, a table/bench and a chair along with "support utensils". How old are the kids? Put them to work, it is character building! ;)

zzffnn

#13 Post by zzffnn » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:20 pm

Many of them have or can be attached to tripod. Charles' AO 3050, shown above, is an example.

Edit:

Not really a collectable, but Swift M3-B (which has a tripod and can be attached to a tripod) is close to what I want: http://www.amazon.com/Swift-Optical-M3- ... B009WXF0R4

I have seen used ones going under $200 on eBay.

However, it has a single lens condenser limited up to NA 0.65 and its weight is not much less than my LOMO Biolam.

charlie g

#14 Post by charlie g » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:51 pm

I simply can't imagine ever needing an oil-objective, or NA greater than :065 in a field setting microscope. Of course I'd be delighted with higher NA field dry objectives..but either it's an outing for following targeted processes in the field/in situ setting (eg. gill parasites on wild stream minnows, intermediate fluke parasites in wild snails, epibionts on water striders, etc.,etc.,colonization of rafts placed to study/to work with stream organisms, etc.,etc..glauchidia of fresh water mussels, juvenile freshwater mussels dispersal phase attached to stream fish...etc., etc....these 'catch and release/live and let live non-destructive field microscopy activities contribute valued data sets for ones microscopy..and for organizations which encourage ones contributions..like annual Christmas bird count data sets).

Or it's for quick 'snap shot of an assemblage before sample collection for home or holiday cottage microscopy.

I wonder now if a 'light weight quality student stand can be tricked out with good optics for field use?

This growth season is hard upon finger lakes/US..today we expect 70 degrees F! Charlie guevara

75RR

#15 Post by 75RR » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:41 pm

The TWX-1
A 1970s Chinese Military Field Microscope.
Single eyepiece but slide is right-side up!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3d265w50a6hck ... 1.pdf?dl=0

apochronaut

#16 Post by apochronaut » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:50 pm

Sometimes the McArthur university field microscope shows up for not a lot. The principle is the same as the McArthur but it is mostly a plastic body. It is very small and light.
The idea of a binocular field microscope seems odd to me. As Charlie g has well pointed out, a field microscope is for quick sampling, so one can then take the samples back to a bench for better assessment. Learning to use a monocular is sometimes a challenge for those who's first introduction to microscopy was with a binocular . You need to learn the art of comfortable viewing with both eyes open. Squinting like a child, looking at the moon through a plastic telescope isn't good and will forever detract from ones ability to learn the microscope effectively.

Even the AO pictured above was a monocular and it was a fully fledged laboratory grade instrument.

zzffnn

#17 Post by zzffnn » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:44 pm

75RR,

Yes, TWX-1 is the Chinese army field scope that I referred to in my previous post. I just did not remember its model number/name. It actually has a real condenser and a good oil objective! It does not seem to have XY mechanical stage though, which would make it hard to use with magnification higher than 40x.

That Newton Nm1 microscope offers oil immersion high power and mechanical stage. Its going price is between $300-$700 USD though.

Phil,

You have persuaded me to drop the bino requirement. Indeed, very few bino field scopes are available and when available, they tend to be too heavy for true portable use.

I can use an eye patch and have used that before with monocular scopes :mrgreen:

Most McArthur models seem to have real condenser and many offer oil immersion objectives too. A few even have mechanical XY stage! Price can be really reasonable with those, indeed.

75RR

#18 Post by 75RR » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:01 pm

The Open University McArthur Microscope. circa1972 Boxed with original paperwork

This version is extra light!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Open-Univ ... SwvgdW3yUu

Info on it: http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... userv.html

http://www.micromagus.net/microscopes/mcarthur.html

zzffnn

#19 Post by zzffnn » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:55 pm

If only that listing has a mechanical stage!

The following article shows accessories for McArthur model:
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/art ... scope.html

As you can see, bino head, mechanical stage, darkfield (condenser and funnels), phase, fluorite NA 1.3/0.9 objectives, achromatic NA 1.3 oil condenser, almost all you need were once offered.

I don't know about parts compatibility between models though.

Can the Open University model accept mechanical stage and/or other parts from the CTS model?

It is worth noting that the currently avaialble Brunel / Omax versions are NOT exact clones. I asked Omax before and their tech support told me that they do not know if it has a condenser (or they told me there is one), so I gave up on that quest (I actually thought about buying the Omax).

apochronaut

#20 Post by apochronaut » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:44 pm

AO lost the military contract, in 1984 to the Columbia FM 600, which was built by Columbia instruments, partially from in house fabrication along with Swift optics. The military wanted a portable laboratory grade instrument, so the principal value of it over the AO was it's binocular head, plus various other refinements, in illumination and the stage.