Microscope storage

This is the place where collectors can discuss their passion.
KathyVann2

Microscope storage

#1 Post by KathyVann2 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:03 am

Hello all,
I am working from home and I have a collection of microscope in my home. I have Stereomicroscope and SP40B Microscope.. Next week I have a work and I'll have to go abroad. Before I leave, I have to store my microscope in a safe place. Do anyone here know any trustworthy storage unit. My friend suggested me Home storage unit (http://www.ultrastor.ca/storage-solutio ... l-storage/). Shall I rely on them?? I really need to keep my microscope safe, because my work is completely based on them. Any suggestions are greatly welcomed. Thanks in advance.

charlie g

Re: Microscope storage

#2 Post by charlie g » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:13 pm

Safest place for these stands is your home...can you explain what in your home might harm your microscopes when you leave home...vrs when you are at home? I'm not clear on what your storage intents are.

I put 6oz plastic cups over all oculars/all trinoc ports on my unused stands, then durable plastic bags over these stands..girthed with low tension large rubber band each stand, the the stands have vinyl dust covers over these bagged stands.

On metal shelve unit...I have stands preped like this in their wooden cabinets. Some stands I made wooden cases for out of ( don't laugh!) wooden wine boxes..some of these home made cases enclose:stand+it's illumination transformer, etc. .

As stored in the wooden cases, the cabinets others came with..I relocated my stands from our downstate home...all went well. welcome to forum ! charlie guevara

billbillt

#3 Post by billbillt » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:20 pm

KathyVann2 wrote:Hello all,
I am working from home and I have a collection of microscope in my home. I have Stereomicroscope and SP40B Microscope.. Next week I have a work and I'll have to go abroad. Before I leave, I have to store my microscope in a safe place. Do anyone here know any trustworthy storage unit. My friend suggested me Home storage unit (http://www.ultrastor.ca/storage-solutio ... l-storage/). Shall I rely on them?? I really need to keep my microscope safe, because my work is completely based on them. Any suggestions are greatly welcomed. Thanks in advance.
Surely a storage unit would be a great place to store your microscopes.. It may be an overkill for something as small as a scope(s).. It would work as a last resort.. Perhaps you have a trusted friend you could leave them with?.. Just make sure they are covered well to keep out errant dust as much as possible... I am curious what your work is with these stands.. do you mind sharing any more details and possibly a few photos?..

The Best,
BillT

hkv

#4 Post by hkv » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:13 pm

I just use a large soft cover on my scopes when not in use. I lock the door when I leave which should keep the scopes safe... :?
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/micromundus
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/micromundusphotography
Web: https://hakankvarnstrom.com
Olympus BX51 | Olympus CX23 | Olympus SZ40 | Carl ZEISS EVO LS 10 Lab6 | Carl Zeiss Jena Sedival

Oktagon

#5 Post by Oktagon » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:49 pm

Construction grade trash bags cut to size work well for me. I store my scopes in climate controlled environment, so it does not get colder than 18C and warmer than 25C. Not more than 65% humidity. No problems in decades.

JimT

#6 Post by JimT » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:42 pm

Safest place for these stands is your home...can you explain what in your home might harm your microscopes when you leave home...vrs when you are at home? I'm not clear on what your storage intents are.
Hope you can give us more info as to what your concern is.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

JimT

KathyVann2

#7 Post by KathyVann2 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:30 am

Thank you all for your suggestions.. I have a younger brother who's only intention is to investigate on my things. I'm very sure that if I keep my microscope in his sight, he'll break it into pieces. Also there may be a renovation in our home (not confirmed) within few days as a part of Christmas. So considering all these things, I came to the conclusion of storing them in a safe place. If there is no renovation, then I would've just locked the door. But now I need some other solution for this..

charlie g

#8 Post by charlie g » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:37 pm

Does,nt the younger brother come with sensible adult guardians/parents? Personal privacy/important property rules might be less risky to establish than risk of non-climate controlled storage units..

Another forum member also suggested: 'leave the scopes at a friends home'...this less risky than your risks in a damp/poorly heated storage service unit.

Heck...again, welcome to forum! charlie guevara

JimT

#9 Post by JimT » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:36 pm

Three options; bore him to death showing him all about the scopes and he will never want anything to do with them again, store them with a friend, break his arms - actually just kidding about the last one!

billben74

#10 Post by billben74 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:50 pm

Or... Show a friend some crystals/other amazing things with your microscope(s)/get them hooked and let them look after the 'scopes.
Win win would be that one your return you will a have another microscope fan to talk/do microscope stuff with.

Personally I find showing crystals through crossed polaroids to neebies the easiest way to impress them and demonstrate that my enthusiasm is not simply me being a nutter...
I had someone literally open mouthed (as in their mouth was actually open most of this time) and saying "thats amazing..." for about half an hour the other day.
She also said "you would have to dead not to find that amazing..."
just a thought... (I can give advice on crystals if you want...)

Dale

#11 Post by Dale » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:01 pm

Bill, I lack porarizing capability, but I would appreciate advice.
Dale
B&L Stereozoom 4. Nikon E600. AO Biostar 1820.

mrsonchus

#12 Post by mrsonchus » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:50 pm

Hi Kathy, I've a solution for you - send your 'scopes over to me in the UK and I'll make sure they're safe and cosy..... ;)

p.s. There's some really good information on do-it-yourself polarisation on this forum, it can be done very easily in it's basic form with a couple of pieces of polarising gel ('linear' not 'circular' type) or as I use, a camera-lens polariser over the field iris (light iris below stage) that may then be turned to align relative to the static piece of polarising film placed above the specimen/slide (I simply 'poke' a finger-shaped piece into the join between my 'scopes head and eyepiece-housing) - works well...

Good luck. :)
John B

Dale

#13 Post by Dale » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:35 am

John, been studying on this, and made some progress, most articles seem to
be UK based! l am ok with the polarizer placed on top of the field iris, it's the locatation
of the upper element. Some place it right on top of the specimen, others over the top
of the objective, and others in the head assembly. Maybe another Eclipse owner has
already done this?
Dale
B&L Stereozoom 4. Nikon E600. AO Biostar 1820.

mrsonchus

#14 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:46 am

Hi Dale, yes that would be handy - someone's sure to have done this with the Eclipse.
I found that my 'scope was already fitted with a slot under the head which would take the slide-in/out arrangement when sold as a slightly different model - the slot was there! I found a thin piece of (linear polarising) gel slipped into the slot easily if at the right angle - a bit of luck but the principle works well. :)
John B