What started or influenced your collection? I'll begin...

This is the place where collectors can discuss their passion.
ebenbildmicroscopy

What started or influenced your collection? I'll begin...

#1 Post by ebenbildmicroscopy » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:50 am

I won a trip to the 37th International Science and Engineering Fair in Fort Worth, Texas in 1986 and, as part of one of our little daily "field trips," signed up to tour both the preserved specimen collection AND the electron microscope imaging center at the university of Texas at Austin. In one of the electron microscope prep areas, there was an old Leitz Ortholux I standing proud and graceful... I was smitten! Around 20 Ortholux(es) later, here I am...

My latest acquisition (shown), a "famous" Ortho off Fleabay about a week and a half ago - famous in the sense that it was obtained from the laboratory of the late Albert Traverse (1925 - 2015) at Penn State, a pioneer petro-chemical microscopist and founding father in work relating geology and botany - or - palynology.
Attachments
rsz_1pennscope.jpg
rsz_1pennscope.jpg (25.25 KiB) Viewed 4856 times
JeffO, aka "Ortho amore"
Leitz Ortholux I
Leitz Orthoplan
Leitz Macro-Dia Device
Zeiss GFL
Zeiss Standard
Zeiss Photomicroscope III
Zeiss OPMI 6S
B&L Stereozoom and Balplan

MichaelG.

Re: What started or influenced your collection? I'll begin...

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:21 am

That riser base is gorgeous, but I'm struggling to understand the ergonomics of using it.
... Do you have a picture of the instrument 'in use' ?

Thanks
MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

ebenbildmicroscopy

#3 Post by ebenbildmicroscopy » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:54 am

MichaelG., I must confess, *that* base/riser has me completely stymied as well!! In fact, it's the reason I bought the scope - for just that riser that I've NEVER seen listed in any catalog or shown in any pic anywhere before. It turns out that the riser originally came from the large Maryland Leitz dealer, Bunton back in 1969 and James Averill is still around selling Leitz equipment today - I have plans of asking him all about it.

I'm theorizing 2 possibilities: a). it was intended to allow the Ortholux to be used comfortably while standing at a lab bench without a stool or that, b). it was intended to allow use of Ortholux as part of a projection unit.

I will not have the scope in my possession until after Labor Day so I will devote another post exclusively to it - I LOVE the crinkle finish paint on the riser as well!
Attachments
bunton.jpg
bunton.jpg (85.14 KiB) Viewed 4820 times
JeffO, aka "Ortho amore"
Leitz Ortholux I
Leitz Orthoplan
Leitz Macro-Dia Device
Zeiss GFL
Zeiss Standard
Zeiss OPMI 6S

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:49 pm

There was a later version of the elevating base called a Mipolam Pad. It was more rectangular, extending outside the base of the "T" , with sloping arm rests. It was recommended when a fluorescence illuminator was installed, which hung below the base of the microscope.
The one included with your microscope also has armrest sections. That base might also have been necessary to allow clearance for a fluorescence illuminator, or for elevation and viewing comfort. Although, those sloping armrest sections do not look that ergonomic, they may have been better than a flat table in certain situations.

ebenbildmicroscopy

#5 Post by ebenbildmicroscopy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:15 am

apochronaut wrote:There was a later version of the elevating base called a Mipolam Pad. It was more rectangular, extending outside the base of the "T" , with sloping arm rests. It was recommended when a fluorescence illuminator was installed, which hung below the base of the microscope.
The one included with your microscope also has armrest sections. That base might also have been necessary to allow clearance for a fluorescence illuminator, or for elevation and viewing comfort. Although, those sloping armrest sections do not look that ergonomic, they may have been better than a flat table in certain situations.
Yes, I have 2 of that base and it is interesting to note there were two versions: a nice heavy cast pad and the cheapo sheet metal pad (see my pics). Due to the ability to adjust the lamp holder adapters, when adding the high wattage or halogens to my Orthos, I prefer to use the Aristophot as my base. You can replace that old linoleum cushion that Leitz used to provide with something more substantial like formica.

Shown are one of my Orthos rigged for epi-flourescence, one rigged for transmitted Wollaston POL AND incident phase contrast... shown in the background is one of my big ole Orthoplans rigged for transmitted AND incident Wollaston POL - getting ready to rebuild the head - dreadfully!
Attachments
rsz_sam_5185.jpg
rsz_sam_5185.jpg (95.68 KiB) Viewed 4708 times
rsz_sam_5184.jpg
rsz_sam_5184.jpg (93.11 KiB) Viewed 4708 times
rsz_sam_5183.jpg
rsz_sam_5183.jpg (92.84 KiB) Viewed 4708 times
rsz_sam_5181.jpg
rsz_sam_5181.jpg (113.85 KiB) Viewed 4708 times
rsz_sam_5180.jpg
rsz_sam_5180.jpg (96.11 KiB) Viewed 4708 times
JeffO, aka "Ortho amore"
Leitz Ortholux I
Leitz Orthoplan
Leitz Macro-Dia Device
Zeiss GFL
Zeiss Standard
Zeiss OPMI 6S

ebenbildmicroscopy

#6 Post by ebenbildmicroscopy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:18 am

OH YEAH, and the one on the Aristophot platform is one of my Orthos rigged with epi-flourescence! I have three Aristophots and I LOVE THEM as microscope bases!
JeffO, aka "Ortho amore"
Leitz Ortholux I
Leitz Orthoplan
Leitz Macro-Dia Device
Zeiss GFL
Zeiss Standard
Zeiss OPMI 6S

apochronaut

#7 Post by apochronaut » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:14 am

what a family! such beautiful design and construction.