Ortholux I POL, deemed "complete"... (after 10 years of hunting parts)

This is the place where collectors can discuss their passion.
ebenbildmicroscopy

Ortholux I POL, deemed "complete"... (after 10 years of hunting parts)

#1 Post by ebenbildmicroscopy » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:24 pm

At long last, I'm gonna declare that I'm finished with building my Ortholux I POL. Got in this epi Pol rig about a month ago and it replaced the epi phase contrast I had in it's mount. I'm proud that this setup is configured with Wollaston calcite prisms in both the transmitted and incident paths. This epi setup actually came with the protective cap for the calcite prism in the original packing (since Leitz quit marketing the Ortholux I in 1972, the packaging probably has to pre-date that)!! These epi setups are bad for users loosing that little prism, much less the prism cap - this is the first one I've ever seen.

It has been a long journey and I've gone down a few rabbit hole false leads (from around the world even) but I think I'm ready to declare this setup COMPLETE... although, I would LUV to get my hands on one of the old Ortho centerable Pol 5 place revolving nosepieces... to be cont'd...
Attachments
OrthoPol1.jpeg
OrthoPol1.jpeg (98.87 KiB) Viewed 4212 times
OrthoPol2.jpeg
OrthoPol2.jpeg (89.17 KiB) Viewed 4212 times
OrthoPol3.jpeg
OrthoPol3.jpeg (100.4 KiB) Viewed 4212 times
OrthoPol4.jpeg
OrthoPol4.jpeg (77.3 KiB) Viewed 4212 times
OrthoPol5.jpeg
OrthoPol5.jpeg (84.69 KiB) Viewed 4212 times
JeffO, aka "Ortho amore"
Leitz Ortholux I
Leitz Orthoplan
Leitz Macro-Dia Device
Zeiss GFL
Zeiss Standard
Zeiss Photomicroscope III
Zeiss OPMI 6S
B&L Stereozoom and Balplan

GaryB

Re: Ortholux I POL, deemed "complete"... (after 10 years of hunting parts)

#2 Post by GaryB » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:31 pm

What a beauty of a setup, nice to see your persistence has paid off.

ebenbildmicroscopy

Re: Ortholux I POL, deemed "complete"... (after 10 years of hunting parts)

#3 Post by ebenbildmicroscopy » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:25 am

GaryB, I appreciate your encouragement!

Sometimes I feel like I've gone to hell and back for this scope. I had one Ebay deal going for a Ortho Pol rotating stage from England - it was off an Ortho Pol that someone parted out. It ended up being a scam with a fake bidder. I finally found another stage that was part of a Leitz "lot" in New Jersey - I had to buy an Ortholux that I didn't need and a bunch of other stuff including a laser. Ended up costing $200 just to ship the stuff from New Jersey in two large parcels. I ended up having to buy another Ortholux from a museum in Arizona just to get a few components and the old man/museum volunteer that was in charge of the deal ended up being a little kooky and couldn't figure out how to pack the thing and then kept giving me about 3 or 4 quotes of what it was gonna cost to ship it, over the course of 5 or 6 phone conversations... I'd get on the phone with him and he'd just want to talk about all the things going on at the museum and how he was responsible for so many things there. I'd let him talk because I got so desperate to complete the deal, I'd do almost anything to keep him happy. I couldn't eat for about a week until I was sure that the old fella had actually shipped it... UGH!

But NOW, it is complete!
JeffO, aka "Ortho amore"
Leitz Ortholux I
Leitz Orthoplan
Leitz Macro-Dia Device
Zeiss GFL
Zeiss Standard
Zeiss Photomicroscope III
Zeiss OPMI 6S
B&L Stereozoom and Balplan