Help dating this one

This is the place where collectors can discuss their passion.
Radazz

Help dating this one

#1 Post by Radazz » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:05 pm

Anyone know how to date one of these? Besides dinner and flowers, I mean.
Found a serial number 3956MB which doesn’t fit the pattern in the how old is that microscope in the window document format, and MB says 1943 microscope. I have my doubts.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jim
Arnold, Missouri
Olympus IX70
Olympus BX40
Olympus SZ40

vgwhite

Re: Help dating this one

#2 Post by vgwhite » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:00 am

That microscope appears to be a Bausch & Lomb Dynazoom model with flat field objectives. It can't possibly date back to 1943 - my guess would be the 1960's. I have one of the similar Dynoptic flat field models (the Dynoptic models lack the knob on top of the head that allows the user to double the magnification of the objective). In any case, here are some considerations based on a review of the reference manual for those scopes:
1.) The manual shows B&L's address with the Zip Code 14602 for Rochester. The Post Office did not start using Zip Codes until 1963.
2.) The manual shows a Polaroid camera being used for photomicrography. The Polaroid camera was introduced by Edwin Land in 1947

IMO, you've got a great microscope. I've had the Dynoptic for about 4 years and I'm very happy with it. The images are sharp and the flatness of field is excellent.

BTW, if you don't have the manual, here is a link to it:

http://www.science-info.net/docs/b-l/Dynazoom.pdf

apochronaut

#3 Post by apochronaut » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:41 pm

I can add a couple of pieces of info. Those objectives were the second series of a group of objective series' B & L designed, that extends the effective objective length by about 15mm, using a common telescope lens above the nosepiece. For this reason, those objectives( which are in fact semi-objectives) cannot be used in any other microscope other than a B & L flat field microscope or a Balplan, which also used the planachromats. The parfocal length of the semi-objectives is pretty close to D.I.N. but with the common telescope lens included, the effective parfocal length of the objectives is about 60mm.,
All of the instruments so designed are under rated. Rare but occasionally found are some nice flat field and plan fluorites and apochromats for the system.
Date wise, I think vgwhite would probably be correct, mid-60's. I think the Balplan came out around 1970.

Radazz

#4 Post by Radazz » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:51 pm

Thanks! I never thought it was older than 1960
Radazz
Arnold, Missouri
Olympus IX70
Olympus BX40
Olympus SZ40

Robert Henriques

#5 Post by Robert Henriques » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:26 am

I've a little known about microscope that's why I'm here to learn a lot. Hope to help all you guys by discussing with me.