MicrobeHunter.com Microscopy Forum

You can also access this page with: www.microscopy-forum.com
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:14 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:35 am 

Attached is a link showing how I added a simple darkfield stop to my Olympus BH-2 scope, by using a Nikon (Labophot) abbe condenser. This also applies to Nikon scopes.

(I revised the link 5/6/16 to point to revision 2 of the document):
http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/05/03/n ... ert-rev-2/

Carl

Last edited by carlh6902 on Thu May 05, 2016 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:22 am 

What I did was:

1) take a Nikon dovetail condenser adapter (I have seen two versions of such adapters, or you can take off the lower part of a Nikon dovetail condenser as adapter);

2) glue a dedicated oil darkfield condenser to the adapter concentrically.

Resulting images are pretty good. Darkfield works up to 97x NA 1.25 oil objective stopped down with funnel stop (to NA around 0.8-0.85), or an iris immersion objective with NA set to NA 0.9.

I have also glued a NA 1.4 condenser, and used Lego spacers to make a filter slot right above the dovetail condenser adapter.

Forum member gekko has also done something similar to what I did, with his Optiphot's dovetail condenser mount.

Yes, Olympus BH2 has a very similar condenser mount.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:51 am 

zzffnn wrote:
What I did was:

1) take a Nikon dovetail condenser adapter (I have seen two versions of such adapters, or you can take off the lower part of a Nikon dovetail condenser as adapter);

2) glue a dedicated oil darkfield condenser to the adapter concentrically.

Resulting images are pretty good. Darkfield works up to 97x NA 1.25 oil objective stopped down with funnel stop (to NA around 0.8-0.85), or an iris immersion objective with NA set to NA 0.9.

I have also glued a NA 1.4 condenser, and used Lego spacers to make a filter slot right above the dovetail condenser adapter.

Forum member gekko has also done something similar to what I did, with his Optiphot's dovetail condenser mount.

Yes, Olympus BH2 has a very similar condenser mount.

I used that same dovetail adapter to add a dovetail to an earlier Olympus oil darkfield condenser (from BH maybe?). I took 1" PVC pipe and "turned it down" to the two dimensions I needed to couple the condenser to the adapter. Went together slicker than heck, and works perfectly on my BH2. I used a tablesaw to turn down the pipe to make the adapter, not a lathe.

Carl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:04 pm 

If you don't mind the look, a few pieces of Lego's and a few drops of super glue is all that is required. Painted or black PVC would look better for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:06 pm 

Hello all this all sounds really interesting, any chance of any pictures of your lovely adpatations? (I realise carhl9062 has done this.)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:27 pm 

Moved to new thread