My Hobby Scope Set-up (WIP)

Here you can discuss DIY adaptations to the microscope.
Nubee-70

My Hobby Scope Set-up (WIP)

#1 Post by Nubee-70 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:35 am

I wish to share my Work In Progress (WIP) microscope set-up. Firstly, at the moment, I do not have the home space or room to set-up a mini lab. So, one end of my work table will have to do. Secondly, my spending money is limited. The microscope I have will just have to do. In other words, buying other bits specifically made for microscopes is unaffordable, so I will need to experiment with DIY alternatives. This WIP will most probably be showing what I am trying to do and I am sure there will be many failures along the way. Doing so is what I like doing. However, I am getting close to 70 years old, and I am not as quick or energetic as I used to. Microscopy is a new field for me and I am realising very quickly that there is a lot of stuff to learn. I just hope I can get my head around it with what little time I may have.

Anyway, when I start a project like this I usually want to know the measurements of the object I wish to work on. This will help me to gauge what and how to use additional equipment to the set-up the microscope.

At the moment, I have no particular set-up in mind. However, I do like the idea of exploring pond water life. Even so, since I am only a beginner, there is a good chance I will be jumping from one field of interest to another over time.

My main focus at this moment is to create a micro lab set-up, of what I most probably be using most of the time, within the immediate vicinity of the scope. So first of all, I need to know the microscopes footprint and what and how to enclose it without getting in the way of its on/off switch, power cable and brightness control. The microscope is an Optico XSZ-107T.

Here are some of the measurements I made. I am sure I will be adding new ones as I go along.

I am planning to use 9mm marine plywood for building a footprint platform and other attached structures.

apochronaut

Re: My Hobby Scope Set-up (WIP)

#2 Post by apochronaut » Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:44 am

That is nice straight forward microscope. It reminds me of a Korean microscope I saw a few years back. More than a hobby scope.
Your system seems well planned. Good luck and have good microscopy.

MichaelG.

#3 Post by MichaelG. » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:20 am

In the immortal words sung by Julie Andrews:
a very good place to start.
I wish I could be so meticulous and thorough.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Nubee-70

#4 Post by Nubee-70 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:26 am

apochronaut wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:44 am
That is nice straight forward microscope. It reminds me of a Korean microscope I saw a few years back. More than a hobby scope.
Your system seems well planned. Good luck and have good microscopy.
Thank you apochroaut.

Nubee-70

#5 Post by Nubee-70 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:39 am

MichaelG. wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:20 am

In the immortal words sung by Julie Andrews:
a very good place to start.
I wish I could be so meticulous and thorough.

MichaelG.
Thanks MichaelG.
I too once thought the same thing about others being meticulous and thorough. Then over the years of errors in my work I got more cautious and done more planning. Now I hardly stuff up (famous last words) :lol:

Nubee-70

#6 Post by Nubee-70 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:04 am

A few goosenecks were delivered from EBay. At least two of them will be incorporated into the set-up for extra stage illumination.
See the project at viewtopic.php?f=12&p=140610#p140583