DIY Micromanipulator

Here you can discuss DIY adaptations to the microscope.
KurtM

DIY Micromanipulator

#1 Post by KurtM » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:38 am

After Charles threw down the gauntlet with his manipulation of diatom frustules, there was no way I'd be able to sleep at night until I had such capability of my own. It isn't easy to find - or afford - a "store bought" micromanipulator, but lots of info on homemade ones is available on the www, most of which involve commonly available X-Y slide carriers for mechanical stages. So I (finally) got busy, and started by purchasing a slide carrier for $16 off you-know-where.

I ended up disassembling it and used only the X axis part and the fixed slide keeper finger. Other parts were 1/16" x 1" aluminum bar from the shop, a paper clip, a couple of clamps, and some glass needles pulled from heated capillary tubes. After a few gyrations "perfecting" my "design", I am now off and running! Look out, Mr. Kemp!

Seriously, no worries for him. This apparatus only makes it possible, does definitely NOT make it easy. So the next step is practice, practice, practice. Today's inaugural test involved transferring 3 diatoms from a nasty old dried strew that's been sitting around at least a year with little dust protection (in a cabinet), the largest of which measured right at 150 µm. Now to prepare some real diatoms to practice with...
Attachments
0 arrows.jpg
0 arrows.jpg (128.06 KiB) Viewed 12177 times
4221_lzn w notes.jpg
4221_lzn w notes.jpg (180.15 KiB) Viewed 12177 times
4227_lzn.jpg
4227_lzn.jpg (158.88 KiB) Viewed 12177 times
IMG_0004.jpg
IMG_0004.jpg (67.01 KiB) Viewed 12177 times
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

zzffnn

Re: DIY Micromanipulator

#2 Post by zzffnn » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:31 am

Kurt,

That AO infinity 4x has a rather short working distance for a 4x. I know for 160mm tube length, Nikon E Plan 4x and old AO Spencer 4x a chrome version has long working distance.

There are some extra or super long working distance infinity 10x objectives around (which you can use on your AO infinity stands for micromanipulation), but those are not cheap.

Why not do it on a stereo, like how Charles does it? You don't need that much resolution for micromanipulation. Most people do it on stereos or inverted scopes.

KurtM

#3 Post by KurtM » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:13 am

Call me old school...

8-)

Seriously, though...

Yes, I have seen what others are using. I have a nice selection of different style microscopes of my own to choose from, and each of them has been duly considered. For reasons of my own I have chosen to start with my much-loved AO 120. I am not dogmatic, however, and equipment is very much subject to change should I think it advantageous.

Right now I'm thinking more along the lines of improving the micromanipulater than finding a better scope or lens, and having lever action instead of turn knob is what I'm wanting more than anything. But then I have only begun to begin!

Incidentally, going back to the pictures above: the overhang of the aluminum bar off the back of the microscope spine is an actual "design feature". When only the front clamp is applied, moving the end of the bar up and down gives superbly controllable fine adjustment for centering the needle under the objective in the Y axis. Z axis errors are easily canceled with the knob adjuster. This leaves only the X axis to the fiddly business of bending the paper clip wire or adjusting the wire holder to get the needle tip centered in the field of view.

I consider it important to have such adjustments not only so the apparatus may be removed and replaced, but also because the glass needle will need occasional replacement, which will require re-centering the tip under the lens.

And that is what set me to thinking about lever-action for a micromanipulator. It really works superbly well!

As always, any and all comments, ideas, remarks, advice, etc., are welcome.
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

Dale

#4 Post by Dale » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:32 am

What an awesome begining, I look forward to your improvements. I assume the
slide on the AO stage is not moved during manipulation?
Dale
B&L Stereozoom 4. Nikon E600. AO Biostar 1820.

charlie g

#5 Post by charlie g » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:38 pm

Great to see your directions in micromanipulator. I'm for years brooding on somehow use of the course and fine focus mechanics of the clutch of black-enamel student scopes which I collected for field use. I thought with the 'Z-axis' provided this way..my working stand can control the 'X and Y' vectors...I applaud your prototype, Kurt..please keep us updated.

charlie guevara

KurtM

#6 Post by KurtM » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:55 pm

Dale wrote:I assume the slide on the AO stage is not moved during manipulation?
Perhaps a little clarification of how all this works is in order: The micromanipulator only moves up and down, or in Z axis only, to pick up objects and put them back down. Relocating the object is done in this case by picking up a diatom, then leaving it while the 2 slides are manipulated under it along X and Y axes using the AO 120's mechanical stage per normal. When the desired new location is centered under the lens - and needle tip - then the micromanipulator is used to set the object down in a controlled and precise manner. As far as I am aware, this is the way all micromanipulators work in the field of diatom picking and arranging; in other applications it may involve other axes of movement.

Charles moves his slides by hand. I accuse him of having steady nerves and a clean conscience. Shaky types like me want all the help they can get.

(In case anyone's unfamiliar with the axes, it works like this: there are three possible axes of movement, X, Y, and Z. X is side-to-side, Y is ahead to behind you, and Z is up and down. Axes is the plural of axis.)

PS: In response to a question elsewhere, the slide holder won't hold two 1"x3" slides, but it will hold a 2"x3" one. I happen to have a box of 2"x3" slides, but it'd be super easy to make if I didn't. Anyway, a 2"x3" slide then acts as a carrier for the pair of standard slides.
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

zzffnn

#7 Post by zzffnn » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:29 pm

Kurt,

I understand you have your own preference.

You AO4 has a sliding stage, right? That scope can take on long working distance 160TL objectives too. Just in case you have not thought about that. Apologize if you have.

billbillt

#8 Post by billbillt » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:34 pm

KurtM wrote:
Dale wrote:I assume the slide on the AO stage is not moved during manipulation?
Perhaps a little clarification of how all this works is in order: The micromanipulator only moves up and down, or in Z axis only, to pick up objects and put them back down. Relocating the object is done in this case by picking up a diatom, then leaving it while the 2 slides are manipulated under it along X and Y axes using the AO 120's mechanical stage per normal. When the desired new location is centered under the lens - and needle tip - then the micromanipulator is used to set the object down in a controlled and precise manner. As far as I am aware, this is the way all micromanipulators work in the field of diatom picking and arranging; in other applications it may involve other axes of movement.

Charles moves his slides by hand. I accuse him of having steady nerves and a clean conscience. Shaky types like me want all the help they can get.

(In case anyone's unfamiliar with the axes, it works like this: there are three possible axes of movement, X, Y, and Z. X is side-to-side, Y is ahead to behind you, and Z is up and down. Axes is the plural of axis.)

PS: In response to a question elsewhere, the slide holder won't hold two 1"x3" slides, but it will hold a 2"x3" one. I happen to have a box of 2"x3" slides, but it'd be super easy to make if I didn't. Anyway, a 2"x3" slide then acts as a carrier for the pair of standard slides.
Hi Kurt,

I think you did an ingenious job with this!.. Bravo!...
BillT

KurtM

#9 Post by KurtM » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:16 pm

zzffnn wrote:I understand ... AO4 has a sliding stage, right?
Yes, my AO/Spencer Series 2 (no built-in lamp) Phase Star sports the "Micro Glide" stage; the premise being that it rides upon a sealed film of grease which dampens out any sudden, jerky movements resulting in silky smooth scanning, whereas one moves the stage by hand. It may move in any direction, and being circular in shape, rotate as well. This stage works a treat, but the dampened response also means no fast movement is possible either. Probably better to just move the slides by hand per Charles' experience.

Besides, I have no LWD objectives. If I did, I'd probably give it a go, but I don't see any reason to purchase anything ... not with all the crap I already have piled up around here. :roll: 8-)

Thanks, Bill.
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

rnabholz

#10 Post by rnabholz » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:19 pm

I am a little too dense to get it on the first pass, but now I see.

Very nice rig you have put together, and for a reasonable cost too I would wager. Starting to make this seem attainable....

Well done Kurt!

Rod

KurtM

#11 Post by KurtM » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:00 pm

I have been researching micromanipulators, now tinkering with one, and slowly it all became clear in my head. What doesn't always occur to me now is that it's still probably largely inscrutable to others, who hasn't been studying these things quite so closely.

Total cost so far: ~$20-25 including capillary tubes

Here are a few other micromanipulators. I did not ask permission to post 'em here, but all are off the web so shouldn't be a problem. I'll certainly remove any if asked to.

Also a couple web articles:

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... atoms.html

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/art ... anging.pdf

https://www.diatomsireland.com/micromanipulator-intro/
Attachments
Beats micromanipulator.jpg
Beats micromanipulator.jpg (207.1 KiB) Viewed 12097 times
Craigs Focus Block micromanipulator.JPG
Craigs Focus Block micromanipulator.JPG (86.96 KiB) Viewed 12097 times
R Hummelink Micscape article 0.jpg
R Hummelink Micscape article 0.jpg (39.81 KiB) Viewed 12097 times
R Hummelink Micscape article 1.jpg
R Hummelink Micscape article 1.jpg (48.81 KiB) Viewed 12097 times
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

kit1980

#12 Post by kit1980 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:50 am

Thanks for posting this!
I read about micromanipulators before, but it seemed too complicated.
After your post it suddenly doesn't look too scary to try for some reason...
Omax microscope with Nikon CF objectives
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II camera
http://sdymphoto.com/

rabitt

#13 Post by rabitt » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:22 pm

KurtM,
Thanks for the 3 posts, the diatoms Ireland is very informative with the how too article and instructions.

Rich B