Swing away polarizer

Here you can discuss DIY adaptations to the microscope.
Radazz

Swing away polarizer

#1 Post by Radazz » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:23 am

I had been using a 49mm polarizing filter for a video camera sitting on top of the field lens for a polarizer, turned around with my fingers to adjust the polarization, and an analyzer between the nose piece and the head. Problem was, while blindly groping under the stage, I would knock it ascue and making me look away from the scope to retrieve it. Inconvenient.
So I came up with the idea of using a filter tray for a swing away polarizer.

I had some 32mm plastic disks sold as bases for war gaming miniatures that I use to make stops and oblique masks. Using a small drill bit in a pin vise, I drilled a hole just inside where the rim of the filter tray will be. I self tapped a finely threaded machine screw into the hole, as seen on the left and bent a brass wire around the rim of the disk to make a retaining ring. I later blacked this ring with a marker.

I found a 32 mm linear polarizer disk on the bay. And spot glued the polarizer to the edge of the disk where it would be eclipsed by the rim.

The filter/disk assembly dropped into the filter ring with the screw hanging through the ring. This is to allow turning the filter. I needed the retainer ring to keep the filter level when I turned the filter.

The complete assembly swings out of the way when not using polarized light.
Arnold, Missouri
Olympus IX70
Olympus BX40
Olympus SZ40