Shield for epifluorescence microscopy

Here you can discuss DIY adaptations to the microscope.
wstenberg

Shield for epifluorescence microscopy

#1 Post by wstenberg » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:34 pm

We were having problem at work with stray light getting into our specimens during epifluorescence. We have overhead fluorescent lights in the lab. My homemade adaptation is a wooden box that covers the stage. Made out of fir and plywood, the inside is painted flat-black. The shield on the front is just black felt. Most of our specimens are in glass petri dishes. The felt curtain can be in place and still allow a hand inside the box for specimen orientation. The felt curtain is held on by neodymium magnets. One pair is epoxied onto the boxtops, and another pair holding the curtain on. Easily removed and replaced. It's hard to see inn the photo, but there is a red transparent shield in front of the objective, and the box is cut out to allow for this.
We have been using this for several months now. The reviews seem to be positive.
Attachments
IMG_0854.JPG
IMG_0854.JPG (99.67 KiB) Viewed 4743 times
IMG_0855.JPG
IMG_0855.JPG (85.92 KiB) Viewed 4743 times
IMG_0856.JPG
IMG_0856.JPG (78.52 KiB) Viewed 4743 times
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

MichaelG.

Re: Shield for epifluorescence microscopy

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:21 pm

That looks very tidy & practical, William

... I wonder what Zeiss would charge for something to do the same job :o
... if indeed they even recognise the problem.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Wes

#3 Post by Wes » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:54 pm

MichaelG. wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:21 pm
I wonder what Zeiss would charge for something to do the same job
About as much as the microscope I'd imagine.

We keep a fluorescent stereomicroscope for checking out transgenic organisms (worms, flies) in a dark room (the animals express fluorescent protein markers)
Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:03 pm

wstenberg wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:34 pm
We were having problem at work with stray light getting into our specimens during epifluorescence. We have overhead fluorescent lights in the lab. My homemade adaptation is a wooden box that covers the stage. Made out of fir and plywood, the inside is painted flat-black. The shield on the front is just black felt. Most of our specimens are in glass petri dishes. The felt curtain can be in place and still allow a hand inside the box for specimen orientation. The felt curtain is held on by neodymium magnets. One pair is epoxied onto the boxtops, and another pair holding the curtain on. Easily removed and replaced. It's hard to see inn the photo, but there is a red transparent shield in front of the objective, and the box is cut out to allow for this.
We have been using this for several months now. The reviews seem to be positive.
From my experience, wrapping around with heavy black cloth is the most practical way. Sort of curtains around. I once made them of the type of cloth that is used for opaque raincoats - not Goretex like but the heavy cloth that is opaque to anything. Professional spy and secret agent raincoats... yet pitch-black felt is OK too.

Another idea: I just discovered optical-black sticky tapes. Black on one side and adhesive on the other. Are sold as wide straps, sheet material etc, by Thorlabs and others. I found one that is oil-resistant and used it to mend my darkfield oil condenser from which the external black paint has aged and peeled off with time.