Printing filters?

Here you can discuss DIY adaptations to the microscope.
Gasman

Printing filters?

#1 Post by Gasman » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:21 pm

Hi guys
Not sure if anyone has tried this but I wondered if its possible to print out filters maybe on Acetate sheets?.
I don't have any Acetate at the moment so can't try it but I had a quick design of some Rheinberg or Darkfield ?

Trial1.jpg
Trial1.jpg (27.35 KiB) Viewed 3853 times
regards
Steve

MicroBob

Re: Printing filters?

#2 Post by MicroBob » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:15 pm

Hi Steve,
there is over head transparency film for laser or inkjet printers (different types). This works to some extent. For a Rheinberg filter it will do fine, only the effect is an the weaker side. There are big round cover slips available that can be used as a base. For an olbique lighting stop you want somthing that actually transmits no light at all. Here printed black is not lightproof enough. Printed phase annuli are fine to determine the right size befor making a better one.

Bob

Gasman

#3 Post by Gasman » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:50 pm

Ah! right thanks for that Bob, I did wonder if the 'black' would be black enough. I got carried away thinking you could print what ever design you wanted. Can't try filters until my 56 condenser arrives so will have a play when it does!
Steve

jb89

#4 Post by jb89 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:44 am

I have attempted to print darkfield stops (3D print) I tried about 20 different sizes with 3 microscopes and never got it working as well as I would have liked. Not sure if acetate would work due to transparency as MicroBob mentioned.

MicroBob

#5 Post by MicroBob » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:31 am

How well these dark field stops work seems to depend on the condenser and the position of the stop. The Zeiss phase condenser with achromatic aplanatic correction offers very good dark field performance.