Is this Beggiatoa

Have problems identifying an organism? Ask for help here.
Wes

Is this Beggiatoa

#1 Post by Wes » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:09 am

Gliding filamentous bacteria, I suspect Beggiatoa maybe someone can confirm.
Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel

apochronaut

Re: Is this Beggiatoa

#2 Post by apochronaut » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:58 pm

Most likely. If you have DF , the sulphur inclusions will iridesce. Identification to some degree depends on the origin of the sample. Proximity to sewage is a common origin. Eutrophicated lake beds. Any aquatic habitat with a high level of biological oxygen depletion, such as a swamp with yearly cascades of leaf litter. Old wells.
Last edited by apochronaut on Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:28 pm

Can't help with the ID but do like the video.

Quite mesmerizing. Fun to see how it seemed at times to be flowing (as if through a tube) rather than moving.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:35 pm

You are pretty dead on with that. Athough the method of movement isn't 100% understood, they do lay down a bioslime that allows them to slip through a tube like film. Their close relative thioploca sp., aggregate , like spaghetti in it's plastic sleeve, forming a bioslime tube in which a group can locomote.

Wes

#5 Post by Wes » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:10 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:58 pm
Most likely. If you have DF , the sulphur inclusions will iridesce. Identification to some degree depends on the origin of the sample. Proximity to sewage is a common origin. Eutrophicated lake beds. Any aquatic habitat with a high level of biological oxygen depletion, such as a swamp with yearly cascades of leaf litter. Old wells.
I picked a small cotton-like piece of scum onto a from a jar of putrid water. I added way too much nutrients (rye and boiled maize kernels) to an old jar of pond water and all the little critters died as a result of massive bacterial overgrowth. The bacteria from the video have colonized the bottom of the jar, its kind neat actually. I had a look at them under polarized light and I could see a tiny Maltese cross where the granules are.
75RR wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:28 pm
Can't help with the ID but do like the video.

Quite mesmerizing. Fun to see how it seemed at times to be flowing (as if through a tube) rather than moving.
That's exactly what went through my head when I decided to film them.
Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel