Unidentified amoeboflagellate

Have problems identifying an organism? Ask for help here.
Wes

Unidentified amoeboflagellate

#1 Post by Wes » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:11 pm

Any clues what this amoeboflagellate might be?

Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel

hans

Re: Unidentified amoeboflagellate

#2 Post by hans » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:43 am

Looks like a second, trailing flagellum is visible 0:50 to 1:10? Do you see things that could be eruptive amoeboid or cyst phases? I was trying to identify something similar, viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11085, curious if you have any more specific ideas yet what yours might be?

With phase contrast, if you see cysts, curious if you see the plugged pores shown here: https://www.arcella.nl/naegleria-gruberi/? I saw a lot of cysts that looked very similar but never could identify the plugged pores in bright field and several sources mentioned they are difficult to see without phase contrast.

Wes

Re: Unidentified amoeboflagellate

#3 Post by Wes » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:09 pm

Hello Hans,

I think the organism was very stressed (terribly squished) but if I recall correctly I saw a second long flagellum before I started shooting the video. The trailing flagellum-like appendage was some sort of a cytoplasmic strand trailing behind. IDing squished things is generally difficult but it could be Mastigoamoeba invertens or some type of Cercomonad.

Regarding the cysts, I see these frequently although I don't think I saw them in this particular sample. I can see the perinuclear granules but I never realized they have plugged pores.
Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel