Coccidia, blood cells or yeast

Have problems identifying an organism? Ask for help here.
Linlivsey

Coccidia, blood cells or yeast

#1 Post by Linlivsey » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:15 am

Hi this is a faecal sample from a pigeon. Observed were streaks of blood apart from that, the dropping looked normal to the eye.
Unstained, wet mount prepared slide. Just wanting to identify wether the small oval structures. Thank you in advance.
Attachments
20210209_110941.jpg
20210209_110941.jpg (190.57 KiB) Viewed 1946 times

dtsh

Re: Coccidia, blood cells or yeast

#2 Post by dtsh » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:06 pm

I'm not much help here, but it is useful to know what approximate magnification the image is; it can help to rule out some possibilities. Judging from the aberations I presume this was taken with a camera up to the eyepiece? The inexpensive cell phone and camera adapters do a lot to help align and stabilize things to help get pretty reasonable images.

What I can see looks like just artifacts/debris, but it's hard to tell for certain and I'm certainly no professional. I am unfamiliar with avians so pardon my ignorance, but are methods such as the Modified Wisconsin or McMaster typically used with avians as they are with mammals?

Linlivsey

#3 Post by Linlivsey » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:58 pm

Yes, it was a mobile phone attachment. I am a complete novice really, the magnification was
x 16 on the microscope. The phone attachment I am unsure as it doesn't state. I hope this is helpful. Thank you for taking the time to help.

quantum

#4 Post by quantum » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:19 pm

It is probably not any of the things in the title, because those would not be visible with 16x total magnification. But if you meant 16x objective and 10x eyepiece, even, they still would not look like that I think. Also, I believe pigeon erythrocytes are oblong and those look spherical to me. My guess: lipid droplets of some kind.

By the way, do take care with pigeon droppings. They can be hazardous. Histoplasmosis can kill you.

Linlivsey

#5 Post by Linlivsey » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:35 am

Thank you very much for you help.