Uroleptus sp ?

Have problems identifying an organism? Ask for help here.
D0c

Uroleptus sp ?

#1 Post by D0c » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:29 pm

Am I looking at a Uroleptus here?

I cannot seem to find anything else that fits it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154534235 ... datetaken/
Leitz SM-Lux

Bruce Taylor

Re: Uroleptus sp ?

#2 Post by Bruce Taylor » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:40 pm

The shape of the cell might not be natural (the posterior looks lumpy and rather odd, to me). In any case, "tailed" hypotrichs occur in several major groups, so approximate cell shape is not enough to go on. If you suspect Uroleptus, the first thing to do is look for a double row of cirri (a so-called "midventral complex") running longitudinally down the middle of the cell. We don't see that...in fact, we don't see the ventral cirri clearly at all. So, I wouldn't try to identify below subclass Hypotrichia.

D0c

#3 Post by D0c » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:58 pm

Thanks Bruce I think identification will have to wait till I get a higher mag objective.
Leitz SM-Lux

D0c

#4 Post by D0c » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:12 am

I managed to capture an image of what I think is another Uroleptus.

Bruce mentioned that you need to confirm identity by seeing a midventral complex of cirri consisting of two rows running down the centre of the cell.

I think I may have captured it and would like a little confirmation.

200X (Look at 28 secs and 43 secs)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154534235 ... ateposted/

400X ( Look at 26 secs, 1:15, & 1:35 )

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154534235 ... ateposted/
Leitz SM-Lux

Bruce Taylor

#5 Post by Bruce Taylor » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:59 pm

This one is a member of the Uroleptus limnetis species complex. We do have a faint view of the midventral cirri, now and then, but in this case we'd be able to ID this guy even without that, because he has a very familiar body shape: distinctly "cephalized," i.e. with a slight narrowing at the "neck" which gives it the appearance of having a head, and a very abrupt tapering of the cell, giving the whole creature a "tripartite" appearance. The behaviour is characteristic, too...that furtive, lizard-like style of movement. The cell is different in shape from the one in your first video, and we don't have any strong reason to think they are the same species. That first one is more club-shaped, and could be a species of Uroleptus, or it could also be Urosoma, Rigidothrix, etc.

D0c

#6 Post by D0c » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:04 pm

Cheers Bruce.

When I was observing this ciliate I did make a note concerning the way it moved like a lizard so I'm pleased about this. But for some reason I thought both species were similar, but now looking at both the differences between them are obvious.
Leitz SM-Lux