Blood Smear Identification Help

Have problems identifying an organism? Ask for help here.
dhicks19

Blood Smear Identification Help

#1 Post by dhicks19 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:14 pm

Hi guys, can someone tell me what type of cells these are. I did a simple finger prick blood smear.
There are lots of these cells and there seems to be granules inside of each one.

Thanks.

http://postimg.org/image/fs22u6e4p/
http://postimg.org/image/ec6vfvve7/

75RR

Re: Blood Smear Identification Help

#2 Post by 75RR » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:33 pm

Link to a thread about texts on haematology and pathology: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1510&p=11483&hilit=blood#p11483
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

zzffnn

#3 Post by zzffnn » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:40 am

Based on your description (lots and granules), those are most likely neutrophils:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutrophil_granulocyte

You may see quite some lymphocytes in blood too, but each lymphocyte should have a single big nucleus (whereas in neutrophils, you would see separate small lobes of nucleus): https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lymphocyte
Last edited by zzffnn on Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dhicks19

#4 Post by dhicks19 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:27 am

They don't look like any wbc. Look more like burr cells with something inside of them. Not sure what they are

dhicks19

#5 Post by dhicks19 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:25 pm

are these crenated red blood cells?

Is this caused by the way the smear is done and is it normal for this to happen?

zzffnn

#6 Post by zzffnn » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:16 pm

Depending on how you process the RBCs, you can make them look that way easily by disturbing their membranes.

Certain conditions can cause that too: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echinocyte

I don't think you can do accurate ID with those low resolution photos. Some nucleus staining would help. RBCs have no nucleus. Nucleus shape and size of WBCs may tell what they are.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

dhicks19

#7 Post by dhicks19 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:27 pm

Thank you very much. I see - I will be getting a new camera soon which will help with the images.

It mentions that staining and drying can also cause these so maybe its a result of drying.

zzffnn

#8 Post by zzffnn » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:18 am

^ Why not just get fresh blood and put it under covet slip, if you are not staining anyway. Let it dry without staining won't help anything.

If your fresh RBCs still look that way when handled correctly, I would suggest seeing a doctor.

Sample handling and microscope operation may be more important than camera in some cases. Your photos do not seem to be in sharp focus and may have too much empty magnification. I am guessing you used 40x objective and magnify the image further with other means?

Using an oil immersion 100x objective should allow you to see RBC or WBC better, if you want photos to be the same size as what you presented plus good resolution.
Last edited by zzffnn on Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crater Eddie

#9 Post by Crater Eddie » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:16 pm

I realize that I am chiming in a little late here.
Yes, these look like crenated RBCs to me, with a little too much magnification.
Excellent links have been given already to good info on blood slide preparation and staining.
Welcome to the forum, I hope we see more photos from you soon.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

SunshineLW

#10 Post by SunshineLW » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:27 am

These are, without a doubt, echinocytes (aka., crenated cells). This is a common artifact in properly-prepared blood smears of many mammalian species, especially swine and equine. It occurs when red blood cells (RBCs) are exposed to a hypertonic extracellular fluid environment (relative to the normal osmolality of blood plasma, which is ~300 mOsom/L). When extracellular fluid (i.e., plasma) tonicity exceeds RBC intracellular fluid tonicity, water in the RBC intracellular fluid diffuses through the RBC plasma membrane down this concentration gradient, from intracellular to extracellular. This decrease in intracellular fluid volume causes deformation of the normal, mammalian, biconcave-disc-shaped RBC into a crumpled-up, raisin-shaped cell.