Found in tree moss

Have problems identifying an organism? Ask for help here.
RudiV

Found in tree moss

#1 Post by RudiV » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:10 pm

Hi Everyone.

I recently prepared a slide with a tree moss sample. Today I had a look at it after sealing the edges and found to my surprise that this creature was also on there. It is almost transparent so I did not see it before.

Any idea what it is?

20x objective, 36 image stack.

40x objective, 52 image stack.

Thanks for looking!
Rudi

hkv

Re: Found in tree moss

#2 Post by hkv » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:12 pm

It is a small animal. :lol:
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/micromundus
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/micromundusphotography
Web: https://hakankvarnstrom.com
Olympus BX51 | Olympus CX23 | Olympus SZ40 | Carl ZEISS EVO LS 10 Lab6 | Carl Zeiss Jena Sedival

RudiV

#3 Post by RudiV » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:28 pm

hkv wrote:It is a small animal. :lol:
Yes, a small scary animal :shock: :D :D

Reminds me of a tick?

Peter

#4 Post by Peter » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:13 pm

Hi Rudi,
What you have there is a mite.
Peter.

RudiV

#5 Post by RudiV » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:54 pm

Peter wrote:Hi Rudi,
What you have there is a mite.
Peter.
Hi Peter.

Thanks! Never expected to find a mite in moss, learned something today!

Appreciate your time!
Rudi

zzffnn

#6 Post by zzffnn » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:45 pm

Yes, it looks like a mite.

billbillt

#7 Post by billbillt » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:21 am

A mite it is.. And a mangled one at that...

BillT

charlie g

#8 Post by charlie g » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:04 pm

Hi, Rudi..you have the shed 'shell' of a mite in this image. I seem to recall that like water fleas..these mites go through a series of molts in their life time.

Great communities in mosses..often the usual suspects are: nematodes, rotifers, mites, and the wonderful water bears ( also termed: moss piglets!). Often one finds discarded exoskeletons ('shed skins') amongst a sample from mosses.

Like keeping a garden..you can periodically water a series of moss beds..to maintain their communities of protists and meiofauna...then once in a while sample the communities for microscopy. charlie guevara

RudiV

#9 Post by RudiV » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:10 pm

charlie g wrote:Hi, Rudi..you have the shed 'shell' of a mite in this image. I seem to recall that like water fleas..these mites go through a series of molts in their life time.

Great communities in mosses..often the usual suspects are: nematodes, rotifers, mites, and the wonderful water bears ( also termed: moss piglets!). Often one finds discarded exoskeletons ('shed skins') amongst a sample from mosses.

Like keeping a garden..you can periodically water a series of moss beds..to maintain their communities of protists and meiofauna...then once in a while sample the communities for microscopy. charlie guevara
Thanks Charlie, that is really interesting. Yes, it makes sense that it is just the shell, would explain why it is so transparent.

I like the idea of watering some patches of moss, I have a lot in the garden, on stones and also on some of the trees, I will water a few spots a bit this winter, our dry season. I have already spotted quite a few of the "moss city" inhabitants, will look for more.

Rudi

charlie g

#10 Post by charlie g » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:55 pm

RudiV wrote:
charlie g wrote:Hi, Rudi..you have the shed 'shell' of a mite in this image. I seem to recall that like water fleas..these mites go through a series of molts in their life time.

Thanks Charlie, that is really interesting. Yes, it makes sense that it is just the shell, would explain why it is so transparent.

I like the idea of watering some patches of moss, I have a lot in the garden, on stones and also on some of the trees, I will water a few spots a bit this winter, our dry season. I have already spotted quite a few of the "moss city" inhabitants, will look for more.
Yes, yes, Rudi...think 'microhabitats'...think of nitche communities within your gardens..as all about us.

I enjoyed a research paper a while ago where the researchers actually attached small open water containers to tree moss assemblages ( think: 'moss cities' as you put it!)..they had a means to quickly sample what and whom was interacting in these nitches.

I have a variety of of such microhabitats I enjoy when the dogs and I hike...some I spray with 'plant food'/"Miracle Grow" periodically..others (a tree crotch which has naturally maintained a puddle of water in it) I add stream water to, plant materials from a vernal pool to..it's pleasant to follow these over the seasons.

I have enclosed an image of a tree moss and fungal community which are commingled..perhaps the fungus will 'drive out' the tree moss eventually?! These are things to follow over time as I thin my woodlot. I could go on and on, Rudi..I cheer your intrest in microscopy of 'moss cities'! charlie guevara/finger lakes,US
Rudi
Attachments
019.JPG
019.JPG (223.31 KiB) Viewed 4724 times