Another ID help request

Have problems identifying an organism? Ask for help here.
gekko

Another ID help request

#1 Post by gekko » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:43 pm

I found this also in muddy water from the yard. I've not been able to identify it. It did not seem to be moving. There were quite a few like it, mostly huddled together. Thank you for any suggestions as to what it might be. [100x oil-immersion objective].

actinophrys

Re: Another ID help request

#2 Post by actinophrys » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:56 am

Hi gekko,
Is the stalk actually connected with the object? Because if not, there are some types of shelled amoebae like Trinema that can look reasonably similar (compare for instance these from arcella.nl), and you might easily find either live ones that do not move much or empty shells in soil.

gekko

#3 Post by gekko » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:17 am

Many thanks, actinophrys, for your response. I'm not sure whether the stalks are actually connected, but most of these objects appeared to have stalks associated with them (I should have taken pictures of the huddled group where the stalks were also in evidence, but this solitary one was the clearest). I still have the water sample, so I will try to see if I can find some more and perhaps be able to answer your question about the stalk or get better pictures that will allow more definite identification. Thanks again.

gekko

#4 Post by gekko » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:51 am

actinophrys wrote:Hi gekko,
Is the stalk actually connected with the object? Because if not, there are some types of shelled amoebae like Trinema that can look reasonably similar (compare for instance these from arcella.nl), and you might easily find either live ones that do not move much or empty shells in soil.
I'm not inclined to believe that the stalks are a red herring, and that you right: last night I tried to find ones with stalks, but I only found small testate amoebas that look like the Trinema that you suggested, but I'll keep looking just in case the stalks come up again. Thanks again for your helpful comments.