Ciliate ID. Nassulopsis ciliate

Have problems identifying an organism? Ask for help here.
Francisco

Ciliate ID. Nassulopsis ciliate

#1 Post by Francisco » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:00 pm

Unknown, for me, ciliate.
I appreciate help in identifying

Francisco
Last edited by Francisco on Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JimT

Re: Ciliate ID.

#2 Post by JimT » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:18 pm

Maybe Paramecium Bursaria - up to 200 UMs. How big was it?

Francisco

#3 Post by Francisco » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:34 pm

JimT wrote:Maybe Paramecium Bursaria - up to 200 UMs. How big was it?
Thanks for your help
The ciliado of the video "folds" on itself, something that does not do Bursaria.
In some scenes of the video we see the "mouth" with the pharynx formed by rods. Bursaria does not have that kind of pharynx.
Approx size is 200μm

actinophrys

#4 Post by actinophrys » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:40 pm

Interesting. The shape, pharyngeal basket, and colour look much like Nassulopsis, though I can't make out characteristic features like the water expulsion vesicles or line of compound cilia. Do they ever fold on their mouths like this? I have not seen so myself, but found a video by microuruguay that shows something of the sort in feeding. You can also see a similar cluster of pigment granules, found in this but also other ciliates like nassulids (right now it's not clear if Nassulopsis belongs with those or synhymeniids).

billbillt

#5 Post by billbillt » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:30 pm

Hi,
Is it possible for you to make individual frame captures and enhance them to possibly provide more info?..

BillT

Francisco

#6 Post by Francisco » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:17 pm

actinophrys wrote:Interesting. The shape, pharyngeal basket, and colour look much like Nassulopsis, though I can't make out characteristic features like the water expulsion vesicles or line of compound cilia. Do they ever fold on their mouths like this? I have not seen so myself, but found a video by microuruguay that shows something of the sort in feeding. You can also see a similar cluster of pigment granules, found in this but also other ciliates like nassulids (right now it's not clear if Nassulopsis belongs with those or synhymeniids).
Thanks for your help.
Yes, I think it is correct; Nassulopsis.
billbillt wrote:Hi,
Is it possible for you to make individual frame captures and enhance them to possibly provide more info?..

BillT
Thank you.
I do not know very well the use of capture and editing programs.